Winter Park Counseling – Mental Health, Therapy, Florida Depression Help
Making the decision to go to counseling can be a difficult one. It is hard to ask for help. It’s even harder when you aren’t sure what to expect.
If you’re like most people, you have some ideas of what you think counseling might be like. What may come to mind are images of lying on a couch in a small office, crying your eyes out in front of a total stranger while you share the details of your childhood. You may worry that a counselor will try to control you or tell you what to do. You may worry that a counselor will judge you.
These are all common fears and misconceptions about counseling. These fears can sometimes prevent someone from seeking the help they need. The therapists and life coaches at Winter Park Counseling want to dispel those misconceptions and alleviate your fears.
Counseling is not:
- Lying on a couch retelling your childhood for weeks on end. That kind of therapy might be useful in very specific circumstances but is generally not the way counseling is conducted with most people.
- Having a counselor tell you what you’re thinking. Counselors are experts in human behavior but cannot read minds.
- Having a counselor tell you want to do. Counselors help you explore different alternatives for dealing with an issue so that you can choose the best option for you. You are in control of all decisions.
- Having a counselor judge you. A counselor’s job is not to judge you. We all make mistakes. We all face challenges. A counselor’s job is to help you work through your issues in a respectful and nonjudgmental way.
Counselors understand how difficult it is to make the choice to seek help. From your first contact with Winter Park Counseling, we will work hard to earn your trust. If you find yourself facing changes and struggling with decisions, the experienced therapists and life coaches at Winter Park Counseling are ready to help you.
How Counseling or Life Coaching Can Help You
People seek counseling and coaching for many, many reasons. Some people are dealing with depression, anxiety or stress. Some are struggling with life transitions, unexpected changes or relationship issues. Others come seeking support and guidance following a loss.
Regardless of the reason you’re seeking help, the important thing to know is that part of the counseling and life coaching approach is to treat each person individually and with compassion. When you meet with your Winter Park therapist or Winter Park life coach, your experience will be tailored to meet your needs.
Your therapist or coach will spend time with you exploring your unique circumstances and work with you to develop a plan of care that addresses your needs.
As part of the process, your therapist or coach may also:
- Help you understand the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing
- Help you to learn ways to cope with your feelings and situation
- Help you see the possibilities for your future
- Help you set goals and make action plans to achieve those goals
- Assist you with referral to other sources of help if needed
Your counselor or life coach is your partner on your journey. They can offer guidance and help you to explore alternatives. You choose the options that work for you.
How To Get Started
We know your time is valuable. We can usually pair you with an Winter Park therapist or an Winter Park life coach within 24 hours. From there, your journey begins.