The television personality Andy Rooney once stated, “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” Sometimes we spend so much time focused on the things we want to achieve that we forget to nurture our daily experiences. And our inner lives contribute powerfully to how we perceive the minutes and hours of our days. For example, if you are depressed, the world can have a negative pallor. If you’re anxious, the world can seem fearful. And if you’re stressed, the world just seems like one task after another that you’ll never catch up on. But there are better ways to live.
The licensed mental health providers like counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi help support a person’s mental and behavioral health so they can lead more fulfilling lives from day to day. Counselors might help their clients with mindfulness practices that can enrich their moments. They can help clients with cognitive strategies to overcome maladaptive thinking patterns. And psychiatrists can prescribe medications in addition to providing psychotherapy to improve overall brain functioning.
Everyone deserves exceptional care for their mental health. After all, mental health is health. If you need psychological support in your daily life, you can trust Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi.
Are Therapy and Counseling the Same Thing?
As mental health services, therapy and counseling are often used synonymously, but they are a little different. Here’s a quick guide to what different mental health providers do at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi:
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs) generally help clients achieve their short-term goals through practical problem-solving and psychological support.
- Psychotherapists provide talk therapy, including evidence-based approaches like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Psychologists (usually PsyDs or PhDs) help clients with their mental and behavioral health through psychotherapy. Psychologists can be counseling psychologists or clinical psychologists.
- Psychiatrists (MDs) can diagnose, treat, and help prevent mental health conditions. They can prescribe and manage psychotropic medications and do psychotherapy.
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) focus on improving relationships between couples and family members.
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs) provide counseling and help clients navigate social services.
What Mental Health Services Are Offered at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi?
Here’s a list of the main mental health services offered at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi:
- Individual counseling
- Couples therapy/marriage counseling
- Family counseling
- Child therapy and teen counseling
- Psychiatry and medication management
Through counseling, therapy, and/or psychiatry services, we help with a range of mental health conditions and other challenges, including:
- Eating disorders
- LGBTQ+ issues
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse/issues
- Sleep problems
Our providers — from therapists/counselors to psychologists, psychiatrists, and nurse practitioners — specialize in a range of counseling approaches, but they’ll cater your treatment to your unique preferences and needs. They might utilize:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Strength-based counseling
- Solution-focused therapy
- Christian counseling
- Emotionally-focused therapy
- Family systems
- Motivational interviewing
Should I Talk with a Psychiatrist?
Talking to a psychiatrist is most likely an independent decision that you’ll need to make on your own. However, anyone can benefit from talking with a mental health professional, including a psychiatrist. If you’re not familiar with what a psychiatrist is, they’re unique in that they:
- Are medical doctors, in addition to often being licensed mental health professionals
- Can prescribe helpful medication that assists clients in managing the harmful symptoms of mental health conditions
- Often the preferred treatment method for emotional or behavioral conditions such as major depression or ADHD
Not everyone who talks with a psychiatrist will be prescribed medication; your treatment will depend on your own preferences and needs. By talking openly about what’s bothering you, you can help to provide your Thriveworks psychiatrist with the information they need to help you manage your mental health challenges.
You may also consider our psychiatric services if you’re suffering from the symptoms of:
- Eating disorders
- Social anxiety
- And many other mental health conditions
Mental health is not only important, it is critical. People need a solid foundation of good mental health in order to live their best lives. Great mental health doesn’t mean that you never get sad or anxious. Those are normal human emotions. But great mental health does mean that you can regulate and cope with negative feelings without getting overwhelmed.
Get Premium Support at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi
At Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi, clients get premium support without the premium prices. Mental health providers can meet with first-time clients quickly, sometimes in as few as 24-48 hours of their initial call. Thriveworks providers can also meet clients in a way that’s most convenient and comfortable for them. For example, clients can do online counseling or in-person counseling at their preference. They can also choose a hybrid model of care. As an additional benefit, Thriveworks clients can always access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Call Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi today to get matched with an exceptional provider. We look forward to helping you on your mental health journey.
Where Is Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi Located?
Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Novi is located at 39500 W 10 Mile Rd Suite 108, Novi, MI 48375. We’re currently sharing a building with TDR Orthodontics. If you have trouble finding our office or have any questions about how to get here, please don’t hesitate to reach out!