For Todd, depression and anxiety had always been constants in his adult life. One condition seemed to lead to another, like when his social anxiety prevented him from seeing his friends, then the ensuing isolation and lack of a support system seemed to worsen his depression. Or when Todd felt despondent about his debilitating anxiety. Then he’d convince himself that he’d never be able to achieve his goals in life while battling the mental condition. His persistent, invasive, irrational worries and fears always seemed to get in the way of him landing that great job, or asking a girl he liked on a date, or standing up for himself when his dad mocked him. It all just felt so overwhelming. Was there anyone out there who could help him?
Todd should reach out to one of the exceptional licensed mental health providers at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa. The counselors, psychiatrists, and psychotherapists at Thriveworks can help Todd manage his symptoms of depression and anxiety. They can help him find new, effective coping strategies for the stressors in his life. And they can get him on the right path to psychological recovery and lasting well-being.
What Providers Are at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa?
There are many different kinds of mental health providers, including counselors and psychiatrists, and it can help to familiarize yourself with the various types before you book your first session at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa.
- Psychologists (PsyDs or PhDs), who provide psychotherapy (talk therapy) treatment as counseling psychologists or clinical psychologists
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who provide psychotherapy and can prescribe medications like antidepressants and mood stabilizers
- Counselors, an umbrella term for anyone who provides counseling, which is usually shorter-term and solution-focused
- Psychotherapist, an umbrella term for anyone who provides psychotherapy
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who provide counseling to couples and families
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who provide counseling and practical guidance with regard to local social services
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs), who provide counseling
But don’t worry if you’re not sure what kind of mental health provider you need right now. Our staff can help match you to the right support system for you at Thriveworks.
How Do You Mentally Prepare for the Start of Therapy?
It can sometimes feel intimidating to see a mental health counselor for the first time. At Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa, we try to make the process as simple and user-friendly as possible. These are some of the recommendations that our licensed therapists make to first-timers as well as long-time clients:
- Think about your goals for therapy. Your therapist will probably ask you what you’d like to achieve.
- Be mindful of when you schedule your appointments. Many people like to reserve at least 10 minutes just before and just after their sessions in case they need that time to reflect.
- Don’t expect quick results. Though some counseling sessions can resolve problems quickly, other issues may require more exploration and attention.
- Be flexible. Your therapist might try a range of unfamiliar techniques like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to see what works best for you.
- Lay it all on the table. You can bring everything into the session: your big emotions, the different parts of your personality, etc. Therapists aren’t there to judge. They want to help. And the more they know about you, the better equipped they’ll be to provide support and guidance.
Can I See a Psychiatrist Online at Thriveworks?
The licensed psychiatrists at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa are able to meet with their clients online via a secure, HIPAA-compliant, telehealth connection. All you need is a smartphone or computer to benefit from these virtual appointments. Once you start seeing a psychiatrist, you will discover that many follow-up or medication management appointments can be brief. You can relieve yourself of the hassle of traveling to and from your psychiatrist’s office for short appointments by scheduling your sessions online from the comfort of your home. And best of all, health insurance covers virtual medical appointments as well as in-person.
Schedule Mental Health Services at Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa
If you have been missing out on getting the psychological attention and support you deserve, consider calling the Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Odessa office today to find the counselor who’s right for you. We don’t have long wait times, whether you’re trying to see a therapist for the first time (we can usually get you seen within 24-48 hours), or you’re waiting for your appointment to begin (97% of Thriveworks sessions begin early or on-time).
Thriveworks clients also receive many added benefits, like online and email access to their providers between sessions. They can also read our exclusive e-books about mental health topics, or watch our educational videos. Call now to book your appointment with one of our top-rated, fully licensed therapists. We look forward to helping you thrive.