The psychologist B. F. Skinner once stated, “A failure is not a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.” It’s an empowering moment when you can start thinking of “mistakes” as learning experiences and you can start focusing on getting better instead of beating yourself up. But it’s a big hurdle to jump when you’re used to being your own worst enemy. What if you acted as your own best friend instead? What if you could meet with someone regularly who could help you make that emotional transformation?
This is just one example of the power therapy can have. An exceptional counselor, therapist, social worker, or psychiatrist can redirect maladaptive thoughts and behaviors so you can get back on track toward achieving your goals. The mental health providers at Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL can do just that. They are trained to listen closely and uncover the roots of problems, at a client’s pace and comfort levels. They are compassionate, insightful, knowledgeable providers recruited from the top 4% of applicants in the Chicago area. Whether you need support for your depression, your relationship issues, or just life in general, Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates can help.
What Do Mental Health Counselors Do?
Mental health counselors help clients achieve their goals through personalized, evidence-based treatment plans. But it’s not only licensed professional counselors (LPCs) who can support people with mental health conditions or life issues. Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL also employs the following licenced providers:
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who help couples and families enhance their relationships.
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who offer mental health counseling and direction for social services.
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who are medical doctors and can diagnose, treat, and help prevent mental health conditions like depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety. They can prescribe medications like antidepressants.
- Psychologists (PhDs or PsyDs), who use psychotherapy approaches like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to treat clients. These providers can be counseling psychologists or clinical psychologists.
Mental health counselors meet with their clients in-person or virtually to discuss what’s on the client’s mind. Sessions are usually about 50 minutes long. Initial psychiatry appointments tend to be longer because they include a full evaluation, and psychiatric follow-up appointments, which might manage medication, tend to be shorter.
What’s the Use of Psychological Counseling?
Psychological counseling can help relieve emotional distress in the short-term or long-term. It does this by giving people insight into their own emotions and behaviors, and often empowering them and giving them the necessary resources to change for the better. Clients may also suffer from specific issues or mental health conditions like these below, which a Thriveworks counselor can address:
- Major depression disorder (MDD), mild depression, and other mood disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Anorexia or bulimia
- Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)
- Empty nest syndrome
- Alcohol use disorder (AUD)
- Sexuality or gender identification issues
- Emotional regulation
- Coping skills and stress management
- Relationship problems
- Self esteem issues
- Life transitions
- Acute grief
What Is the Process of Mental Health Counseling?
The process and overall dynamics of a mental health counseling session can vary depending on the client and counselor. These relationships can be deeply personal and idiosyncratic, often depending on the personality and goals of the client. At Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL, highly qualified and experienced mental health providers might use a number of different approaches to support their clients, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT)
- Person-centered therapy (PCT)
- Exposure therapy, especially for phobias
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Mindfulness training
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Anger management
- Substance abuse counseling
- Holistic treatments like progressive muscle relaxation and meditation
- Emotion-focused therapy (EFT)
- Narrative therapy
- Motivation enhancement therapy (MET)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Family therapy
- Couples therapy or marriage counseling
How do you know who to choose as your counselor? The process requires a little research. For instance, you should make sure that your mental health provider is fully licensed to practice in Illinois. (All Thriveworks providers are fully licensed, nationwide.) You should also make sure the provider is affordable. (Thriveworks accepts most major forms of health insurance coverage and offers competitive self-pay rates.) Lastly, the counselor should have experience in your issue.
Is Online Therapy Effective?
Online therapy has been proven to be just as effective as in-person therapy, which is why Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL offers both options to clients. Both types of session are of the same length and quality. Clients may choose whatever is most convenient and comfortable for them.
Get Better Support with Licensed Counseling at Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL
New Thriveworks clients can see their counselor quickly, usually within 24-48 hours of their initial call. They can also access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Don’t wait to take the first steps toward a happier future. Call Thriveworks today.