The poet Robert Frost wrote that “the best way out is always through.” Poor outcomes can happen when people try to avoid their distressing feelings. They can deny whole parts of themselves because they’re uncomfortable. They can turn to substance abuse to drown out their emotions. They can become angry or enraged in order to mask their real feelings of sadness.
By defending themselves against their own psychological truths, people just tend to make more problems for themselves. That’s why the only way to truly overcome distressing emotions is to confront them head-on. But it can feel intimidating–sometimes even dangerous–to do that on your own. That’s why there’s a whole profession dedicated to helping people achieve better mental health.
The counselors, psychotherapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and social workers at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA are all fully licensed and highly qualified to help clients navigate difficult issues and develop effective strategies for coping with stress and adversity. Clients may suffer from a mental health condition like depression, or they may need some guidance through a career change. Clients may want some unbiased, professional support for a problem in their marriage, or they may need to address their symptoms of anxiety. Whatever the case may be, there’s a mental health provider at Thriveworks who can offer expert and compassionate care.
What Do Mental Health Counselors Do?
Mental health is a lifelong journey, and along the way there are different specialists who can help people realize their full potential. Here’s a quick summary of the psychology professionals you can find at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA:
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs) work with clients to solve problems. Counseling is usually shorter term and more solution-focused than psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapists are mental health professionals licensed to provide talk therapy. Talk therapy can be very dynamic and evidence-based, like when a therapist uses cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) techniques.
- Psychologists (PsyDs or PhDs) can be counseling psychologists or clinical psychologists. They use a variety of talk therapy approaches to assist clients with their mental and behavioral health.
- Psychiatrists (MDs) are medical doctors who can prescribe psychotropic medications like antidepressants in addition to doing psychotherapy.
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) work with intimate partners and families in a group therapy setting.
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs) provide counseling and guidance for social services.
Who Can Benefit from Counseling?
Counseling and therapy can benefit anyone. There’s no issue too minor or too major that you can’t discuss it in a session with a qualified mental health provider at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA. Some clients just need someone to talk to who isn’t a friend or family member. Some clients have acute psychological or behavioral symptoms that need to be addressed. All kinds of clients receive the help they need from Thriveworks, including people experiencing the following issues:
- Marriage or family conflict
- Prescription medication needs
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Bipolar disorder (manic depression)
- Eating disorders
- Body dysmorphia
- Insomnia and other sleeping issues
- Sex addiction
- Ecological grief and anxiety
- Panic disorder (anxiety attacks)
- Parenting concerns
- Premarital counseling
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Child therapy
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Substance abuse
- Empty nest syndrome
- Relationship and interpersonal difficulties
- Work stress
What Is It Like to Be in Group Therapy?
Group therapy can be hugely beneficial in addressing complex family dynamics. A professional counselor is trained to be unbiased and see everyone’s perspective. The LMFTs at Thriveworks excel at creating psychologically safe spaces that will put every therapy participant at ease. Group therapists use icebreakers, games, and psychoeducation to help people identify their strengths and weaknesses as individuals and as members of a unit. At Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA, group therapy can take place online or in-person, depending on the convenience and comfort levels of the clientele.
Get Exceptional Support at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA
The mental health providers at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA have the knowledge and experience to help individuals recover from trauma, discover coping strategies, and gain meaningful insights into their own lives.
Because all the providers at Thriveworks are fully licensed, nationwide, they accept most major health insurance plans. This means clients get premium therapy services at affordable rates. Thriveworks clients also receive numerous other membership benefits like quick appointment bookings, email and phone access to providers between sessions, and educational resources like e-books and videos. They also get the option of choosing how they’d like to see their counselor, whether that’s online via a secure telehealth connection, or in-person at the modern office. Some clients even choose a hybrid model.
When you need psychological support, you should turn to credentialed, exceptional, authoritative counselors and therapists like the ones serving Thriveworks clients. Call today and meet your provider as early as tomorrow. We look forward to hearing from you!