Emotional Abuse Therapy in Stoughton, MA—Therapists and Counselors at Thriveworks
Love: between intimate partners, family members, friends, religious leaders, coworkers, should be kind, uplifting, and patient. Yet 48.4% of women and 48.8% of men experience psychological aggression by an intimate partner sometime in their life. That’s nearly half of the U.S. population who doesn’t have the caring relationship they deserve and instead carry the terrifying scars of an emotional abusive relationship. Although no one can change the past, our therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Stoughton can mend the wounds that cut deep and get you back on track to a healthy, fulfilling lifestyle, full of love and respect for yourself and others.
Emotional Abuse: What Is It?
All relationships have conflicts; this is normal and healthy. The signs of emotional abuse may appear as typical bumps in the road of any relationship. However, underneath it is a battle to win control, with manipulative tactics. Red flags that may signify emotional abuse in a relationship include:
- Ridiculing, embarrassing, and condemning in public
- Taking no interest in other’s opinions and emotions
- Objectifying people
- Threatening, intimidating or guilt-tripping others to get what they want
- Coveting the other partner and making them a possession
- Making them think they are crazy (called gaslighting)
- Showing uncontrollable anger at the slightest misstep of partner
- Destroying a prized possession of partner (harming a favorite family picture)
- Denying requests to vital resources such as money, transportation, food, or health care
- Falsely accusing (“You broke…” when they know you did not)
- Withholding love to get what they want
- Guilt tripping them for spending time with loved ones
- Refusing to accept responsibility for their actions
These red flags have one thing in common: control. Emotional abuse happens when one partner tries to dominate another. Often, these behaviors start out subtle, so you may not realize you are being manipulated until the relationship is already detrimentally abusive. But there is still hope! Our Thriveworks Stoughton therapists and counselors know the signs of emotional abuse and how to help you rebuild the amazing empire of your heart, soul and mind.
Healing from Emotional Abuse with Thriveworks
You may be wondering how a therapist or counselor could guide you toward freedom from the chains that have been keeping you down. Or, if healing from the deep wounds you have is even possible. It is. And, the journey is always easier if you have a companion. Our therapists and counselors can help you:
- Identify and process the trauma.
- Prioritize your safety and wellbeing.
- Grow your self-esteem and confidence.
- Learn to communicate and love in healthy relationships.
Our therapists are professionally trained to give you back the life you deserve. We use tried and true techniques like helping you process feelings or using physical sensations to rebuild broken hearts and minds. We use methods as simple as journaling to more complex therapies like Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR).
Thriveworks Stoughton wants you to have the quality of life you deserve. Life can bring its rough patches, but our counselors will help you heal. To begin your path to recovery, schedule an appointment with us today. Give us a call at (781) 318-8080.