Do you get extremely nervous about upcoming bills, exams, or performance reviews? Have you ever had a panic attack — a sudden episode of intense fear, including physical effects like trembling, sweating, and nausea? Is it challenging to get enough sleep because your mind is racing? Do everyday activities feel dangerous?
Anxiety is an umbrella term for mental health disorders characterized by excessive worry or fear in everyday situations. People with anxiety can experience irritability, hypervigilance, intrusive thoughts, restlessness, a feeling of impending doom, and more. If you see any of these symptoms in your life, you might be dealing with an anxiety disorder.
Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental illnesses, which means psychiatrists and other health professionals have spent a great deal of time studying and treating anxiety. There are a number of safe and effective methods to prevent and reduce its disruptive symptoms with the help of a licensed counselor or therapist.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Rapid City, SD, our providers take anxiety seriously and work hard to help clients regain control over their thoughts, feelings, and actions. Call our office today or use our convenient online booking tool to schedule your first appointment.
What Are Common Causes and Forms of Anxiety?
Your experience with anxiety is unique to you. Just as a broken bone might take longer to heal for one person than another, mental health concerns come up in your life in unique ways. There are many risk factors that increase a person’s chances of experiencing an anxiety disorder at some point in their life. Stress, trauma, genetics, substance abuse, and personality types can play a role in someone’s experience with anxiety.
It’s important to understand therapy for anxiety is not reserved for the most severe or debilitating cases. Anyone who thinks anxiety is negatively impacting their life can benefit from exploring therapy or counseling options.
Everyone’s experience with anxiety can be different, but some forms of anxiety are more common than others. Some of the most common anxiety disorders include:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): GAD causes persistent and excessive worry that is difficult to control. This form of anxiety frequently occurs alongside other anxiety disorders or other issues like depression.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: OCD can involve repeated irrational thoughts that result in performing specific, repetitive actions.
- Phobia disorder: This refers to anxiety caused by a specific object, situation, or activity, like an intense fear of spiders, heights, or crowded places.
- Panic disorder: Characterized by recurring panic attacks at unexpected times that aren’t always related to a specific or pressing danger. Panic attacks are sudden, intense bursts of fear or terror accompanied by heart palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating, shaking, or feelings of doom.
Do you think you’re living with an anxiety disorder? If so, consider reaching out to a mental health professional from Thriveworks Counseling in Rapid City, SD.
Therapy for Anxiety: What To Expect From Your Sessions
Passionate mental health professionals are available to help you manage your anxiety and live your best life. If you decide to seek help for anxiety, you’ll be paired with a trained psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, counselor, or other mental health professional who can help you assess your anxiety and reduce its symptoms. Mental health professionals can:
- Listen to your concerns, identify important details about your situation, and learn more about your goals for treatment. This might involve completing psychological questionnaires, speaking about your past, and reassessing your close relationships.
- Diagnose mental illnesses and offer further information about anxiety symptoms. A therapist may provide you with coping strategies and stress reduction techniques to help you manage your anxiety.
- Create a treatment plan to prevent or minimize your anxiety, which may include cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), taking prescription medication, and attending traditional talk therapy sessions.
We want to help you manage your anxiety and live a happier, calmer life. If you want to talk to a mental health professional, consider calling our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Rapid City, SD.
Schedule Anxiety Counseling at Thriveworks in Rapid City, SD
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety, we want you to know that support is available. At Thriveworks, we offer sessions on weekdays, evenings, and on weekends. If you prefer to access assistance from the comfort of your own home, consider our options for remote sessions through phone calls or secure video chat. New clients can receive an appointment immediately, and often meet with a provider within just 24-48 hours after reaching out.
We accept many forms of health insurance, and you can communicate with your provider between sessions using text or email. There’s also flexible cancellation and rescheduling when life gets in the way.
We provide other benefits to our clients, including:
- Text-message assistance for booking and billing
- Exclusive video content
- Counselor-moderated community discussion boards
- 24-hour Q+A with a skilled life coach
Scheduling your first appointment is easy. Simply call or use our online booking tool to get started with therapy for anxiety at Thriveworks Counseling in Rapid City, SD, today.