Marriage and Couples Counseling – Counselors in Prince William VA
No marriage is perfect—it’s true, no matter how much you love each other. Little problems and differences can pop up for any couple as the years pass by, and even the strongest marriages aren’t immune to greater stresses.
Of course, just because marriage issues aren’t uncommon doesn’t mean they aren’t stressful, either. It can be incredibly disheartening to recognize trouble in your relationship and not know what to do about it. With that in mind, could it be time to seek help for your marriage through the experts at Prince William VA couples counseling?
Do You Recognize Any of These Common Marriage Pitfalls?
While each couples’ circumstances are unique, therapists have come to recognize that many spouses are dealing with similar issues. They’ve become experts at providing caring, personal support and expertise for problems such as:
- Affairs or potential unfaithfulness
- Anger management issues
- Ineffective communication
- Different opinions on child rearing
- Stress relating to money matters
- Loneliness or resentment
- Interference from the extended family.
Perhaps one or more of these common issues rings a bell for you; on the other hand, you and your husband or wife might be facing something completely different. Whatever it is that’s coming between you, a sensitive and pragmatic professional from Prince William VA marriage therapy can help.
Relationship Highs and Lows
While it’s normal for relationships to have their ups and downs throughout the years, it’s when there are more low times than highs that you may start to feel concerned. Even still, many couples put off seeking professional help.
This is often the case for relationships that have otherwise been happy until a specific incident occurred. Some couples even delay trying out Prince William VA marriage therapy because they don’t feel their situation is dire enough to require it.
But why wait until the lows vastly outnumber the highs? The sooner you seek professional help, the more likely you are to have a positive outcome.
Powerful Stats to Support Marriage Therapy
Are you still hesitant about whether Prince William VA marriage therapy is right for you and your spouse? These statistics might encourage you to give it a try:
- When surveyed by the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 97% of couples advised they felt attending marriage therapy successfully helped them work out what was bothering them
- In the same survey, 93% of couples reported that couples therapy provided them with the necessary tools to address any problems in the future.
There are also a number of other benefits associated with marriage therapy that you may find useful. For example:
- Whatever the outcome, counseling is wise if you want to try and give your relationship another chance
- Counseling is excellent when you recognize you and your spouse are facing a problem, but aren’t sure how to fix it
- Therapy can equip you with far better communication and problem solving skills for the future
- Participating in counseling together can help you to better understand who your spouse truly is and what motivates him or her.
Is Divorce a Possibility?
Despite best intentions or active participation in therapy, partners may occasionally decide that divorce is the healthiest choice they can make. While some sources report that 50% of American marriages end in divorce, don’t let that statistic discourage you in any way; it has actually remained steady for the last 30 years. What has changed is our ability to say so when we need help or want to leave a relationship.
Have you and your spouse already made the decision to divorce? You may still choose to try Prince William VA couples counseling as a way to work out your differences and separate in the least stressful manner possible. If you’re able to, this is excellent for couples that will be co-parenting.
Or, you may enter counseling and realize during your sessions that you’re actually heading towards separation. You may want to give your marriage another try, or change your focus from repairing your relationship to managing the outcome for your divorce. We can help then, too.
No one enters into a marriage expecting to get divorced. However, if this is your new reality then Prince William VA couples counseling can facilitate a safe place for discussion and resolution; helping you continue on your life’s journey in a healthy and positive way.
Connect With Us
Whatever stage you’re at, if you and your spouse aren’t seeing eye to eye then don’t hesitate to give us a call. With effective communication and greater understanding, you may be surprised to discover just how much potential your relationship really has.