Depression Counseling in Monroe, LA
Terry’s girlfriend was a happy-go-lucky person up until a few months ago. She was let go from her job, her mom was diagnosed with cancer, and she got into a bad car accident that resulted in her needing weeks of physical therapy. She felt like the world was out to get her.
Slowly she became reserved and closed-off. Terry felt like there wasn’t anything he could do to help the situation. He knew that being a supportive partner was important, but that it wasn’t enough to help pull her out of her rut. After talking, Terry was able to get his girlfriend to sign up for a depression counseling session. In just a few short weeks, she started to become herself again.
Can you relate to the situation above? Millions of people experience depression each year and go without the proper treatment they need to effectively manage their symptoms. If you want to beat the stigma around mental health help and take back the reins of the life you want to live, consider working with a depression counselor at Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA.
What Is Depression? What Are the Symptoms?
Have you ever had a bad day that just made you want to crawl into bed, shut your phone off, and be left alone? Has that bad day ever turned into a bad week. A bad month? If the answer is yes, there’s a chance you’re suffering from a form of depression.
Depression is a mood disorder that makes you feel constant sadness, feelings of worthlessness, and hopelessness. These intense feelings last for many days to weeks and prevent you from living a normal functioning life. Depression can force you to isolate yourself from others and slowly slip from your usual routine.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of depression, you might be showing signs that include:
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Persistent feelings of sadness
- Feeling angry or easily annoyed
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies you previously enjoyed
- Decreased energy or easily fatigued
- Changes in sleeping habits usually presented as insomnia or hypersomnia
- Struggling with substance abuse
- Thoughts of suicide or suicidal actions
Amongst others. Sometimes these feelings of depression and changes come and go while others stay throughout the course of your depression. If you recognize any of these symptoms in yourself or in a loved one, it’s crucial that you start treating the depression right away.
Types of Depression
If you think you might be experiencing depression, a mental health professional such as a depression counselor or psychologist can give you an accurate diagnosis, plan of treatment, and coping skills. First, however, it’s important to understand what kind of depression you have.
Different types of depression that can manifest in someone’s life include:
- Major Depressive Disorder: This is the most well-known form of depression. Symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder include feelings of despair, emptiness, hopelessness, insomnia or hypersomnia, lack of interest in previously enjoyable activities, and suicidal thoughts or actions. To be diagnosed with this disorder, you must have symptoms for at least two weeks.
- Minor Depression: Minor Depression has the same symptoms and signs as Major Depressive Disorder, it’s just less severe and not as persistent.
- Bipolar Disorder: This disorder is characterized by extreme mood swings between depression and mania. Manic symptoms can include risky behavior in your personal and professional life. These spouts of energy are described as euphoric.
Any type of clinical depression is hard to deal with. If you experience depression in any form, a Thriveworks counselor in Monroe can offer you the support and guidance you need.
Treatment of Depression
Some people experience depression for short periods of time while others battle depression their entire lives. Regardless, it remains difficult and isolating to say the least. When you choose to work with one of our mental health professionals, we want you to know that we’ll listen to your needs, challenges, and goals in order to create a comprehensive plan of care that is catered to you.
To help you cope with difficult emotions and manage your symptoms, your depression counselor may utilize cognitive behavioral therapy, traditional talk therapy, narrative therapy, behavior therapy, interpersonal therapy, and art therapy.
In addition, you might be advised to prioritize getting exercise, maintaining regular contact with friends and family members, maintaining a balanced diet, get the recommended amount of sleep, and find other stress-relieving outlets during your free time.
Work With a Depression Counselor at Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA
Are you ready to learn how to manage your stressors and overcome them? You’re in the right place. Here at Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA, our team members dedicate themselves to providing you with the tools and resources to do just that. We are focused on providing you with comprehensive client-focused care every step of the way.
When you’re ready, give our office a call. One of our scheduling specialists will help you find a time that best suits you. We offer online counseling, evening and weekend sessions, next-day appointments, and no waitlist.
Our team members can’t wait to meet you and start helping you thrive!