Millions of people around the world suffer from a mental disorder each year. And one of the most common mental health conditions, especially in the United States, is anxiety. The worst part is, most of those people go months, even years, without getting the proper mental health treatment they need to effectively manage their symptoms.
Anxiety can leave you feeling overwhelmed, worried, and unsettled. It’s essential to pay attention to any anxiety symptoms you might have so that you can get professional help sooner rather than later. The longer you put off getting the help you need, the worse your symptoms might get.
Anxiety is a serious mental disorder that can benefit from a mental health professional’s assessment. At Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA, our anxiety therapists are readily available and can get started with you as soon as tomorrow. Managing difficult emotions isn’t easy, but thankfully, you don’t have to do it alone.
If you’re ready to start prioritizing your mental health and take back control of your life, you’re in the right place. Consider working with a Thriveworks anxiety therapist today.
What Does Anxiety Look and Feel Like?
As we touched on earlier, anxiety can make you feel overwhelmed and unsettled. You might develop anxiety after going through a traumatic event or out of the blue. Regardless, it’s essential to understand the symptoms and recognize when you are feeling anxious. Common symptoms include:
- Excessive worry
- Shortness of breath
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Changes in appetite
- Excessive sweating
- Feelings of impending doom
This list doesn’t encompass every sign or symptom that may come with anxiety. However, these are some of the most common.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Along with having many different symptoms, anxiety can come in many different forms. Different types of anxiety include:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): A type of anxiety disorder that is caused by a previous traumatic event. Those who have PTSD suffer from anxiety brought on by triggers (objects or situations) that remind them of their trauma.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: People experience social anxiety due to fear of becoming embarrassed or rejected in social situations. This can include going to public events, presenting during a meeting, or simply making a phone call to someone new.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): This is the most common form of anxiety and presents itself in many different ways. People with this type of anxiety experience symptoms for many different reasons including worrying about responsibilities, making sure their family members are okay, and just dealing with general negative thoughts.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): This disorder is characterized by having obsessive thoughts and compulsions that greatly affect daily living. This can present through obsessively cleaning, hoarding, constantly checking on things, and obsessive thoughts that could be harmful to yourself or others
- Panic Disorder: Panic Disorder is a type of anxiety that induces panic attacks. This can be brought on by fear or can randomly happen when you’re least expecting it. Panic attacks typically last about 10 minutes and have symptoms of chest pain, hot flashes, feeling dizzy, inability to breathe normally, and feelings of choking.
How Can an Anxiety Therapist in Monroe Help Me?
Your counselor at Thriveworks in Monroe can help you identify the root causes of your anxiety disorder and manage your specific symptoms. To accomplish this, they will first sit down with you to understand what your challenges are and what goals you want to achieve through therapy.
Then, based on your discussion, they will create a treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals. In talk therapy, you might discuss:
- Your specific anxiety symptoms
- The best ways to cope with difficult emotions
- Your communication skills
- Problem-solving techniques
- Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing
- How to achieve optimal happiness and success
To help you reduce anxiety in your life, your therapist might utilize different types of therapy including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), psychotherapy, exposure therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, art therapy, narrative therapy, and interpersonal therapy.
Our mental health professionals are dedicated to helping you work through your challenges and provide guidance and support so you can live the happy, successful life you deserve.
Work With an Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA
Are you interested in working with a counselor? Are you ready to make meaningful changes in your life? If so, you’re in the right place.
At Thriveworks, our goal is to provide accessible mental health care to our communities. To accomplish this, we offer evening and weekend appointment times, flexible cancellations, online counseling options, same- and next-day appointments, no waitlist, and more.
To get started, simply click over to our online booking system or give our office a call. One of our scheduling specialists will help you find an appointment that best works for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon and starting this journey together.