Chiropractic Care at Mechanicsville, VA
In 2008, Usain Bolt became an Olympic gold medalist—winning not just one but three golds at the games in Beijing, whilst setting multiple world record times. And his achievements didn’t stop there: Bolt returned to the Olympics in 2012 and 2016 and left with an additional six gold medals. Clearly, Bolt is a tremendous athlete. And though he has since retired from competing, he is still regarded as the fastest person in the world today. But that doesn’t mean he steered clear of all hurdles on his road to glory. The nine-time Olympic gold medal winner was born with scoliosis: a sideways curvature of the spine, which can cause the sufferer serious pain and discomfort.
“The early part of my career, when we didn’t really know much about it, it really hampered me because I got injured every year. But if I keep my core and back strong, the scoliosis doesn’t really bother me. So I don’t have to worry about it as long as I work hard.”
To accomplish this mission of keeping his core and back strong, Bolt started receiving chiropractic care. This treatment doesn’t just help him to deal with the pain and discomfort that accompanies his condition on a daily basis, but it helped Bolt to avoid further injury throughout his career, and enhanced his overall performance on the track. Now, you might not be an Olympic gold medalist or even have a scoliosis diagnosis, but you’ve likely experienced physical pain and discomfort too, considering the mundane tasks we complete each day—such as taking out the trash, tidying up the house, or just sitting at work. These day-to-day activities can have negative effects on our wellbeing over time; and it’s important we address them before they get worse or have serious implications on our health.
Fortunately, Thriveworks Mechanicsville can help you manage such problems and ensure you stay in good health, starting as soon as today. We work with the best of the best and can set you up with a skilled, caring professional who will administer the beneficial service that is chiropractic care. So, if you have an aching back or stiff neck, you’re seriously injured or at risk of injury, or you just want to take proactive measures toward maintaining your health, give Thriveworks Mechanicsville a call.
What Is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is work done on the body—usually, hands-on therapy—to correct misalignment, alleviate pain, and improve the body’s overall functionality. There are multiple techniques involved in this treatment, but chiropractors typically perform spinal manipulation on their patients to…
- Resolve issues in the neck, head, and back
- Alleviate pain and discomfort
- Address and prevent injury
According to the American Chiropractic Association (ACA), 95% of people who received chiropractic care in the past year say it’s effective, and 97% say they would likely use the service again. While their needs varied, many of these patients sought relief from their chronic lower back pain and, based on consumer surveys, hailed chiropractic care as the #1 back pain treatment out there.
Who Sees a Chiropractor?
As previously mentioned, most individuals seek out chiropractic care because of debilitating or nagging pain—whether it be back pain, neck pain, headaches, or injury that requires rehabilitation:
1. Back Pain: Chiropractors use a few different techniques to help their patients, but when it comes to relieving back pain, they typically use manual therapy in the following ways:
- Spinal Manipulation, whereas the chiropractor applies force to the spinal joints, with the goal of restoring the spine’s structural integrity and reducing pain. Sometimes they also combine the practices of moving joints, massaging, and exercise.
- Mobilization, which is a lower degree of manipulation through movement and stretching of the muscles and/or joints. The goal here is to increase the range of motion in the affected area.
2. Neck Pain: Studies show that more than one in four people who seek chiropractic care do so for neck pain, usually as a result of injury or, even more commonly, day-to-day misuse: from hunching over our laptops, to glaring down at our smartphones, and straining to see the TV. A chiropractor can help you to correct the misalignment and relieve you of the pain you’re experiencing.
3. Headaches: Additional studies, completed by the American Chiropractic Association, have shown that about 14% of chiropractic patients seek relief for headaches. While these are sometimes caused by injury of the upper back or neck, headaches are also commonly caused by…
- Stress and fatigue
- Low blood sugar
- Joint dysfunction
- High blood pressure
A chiropractor can help to lessen these aches, as well as discover and manage the root of the problem, whether it be everyday stress or pain that’s stemming from a serious condition.
4. Injuries and Rehabilitation: Chiropractic care is also commonly used to treat injuries. Not only does it help to alleviate the pain, but it can help to…
- Prevent additional injury
- Overcome problems that may stem from these injuries
- Enhance one’s performance—as with Usain Bolt
Chiropractors accomplish the above by correcting displacement and/or alignment and aiding in reconditioning as well as rehabilitative exercises.
Seeking Initial Treatment
During your first visit, the chiropractor will start by gathering your health history. Then, they will perform a physical exam to get a better idea of what issue you’re presenting and how they can best help you. If they determine that chiropractic care is the right mediation for, they will move on to creating a treatment plan. In the following visits, you will begin treatment, which often involves a variety of therapies and adjustments as detailed above: generally speaking, a chiropractor performs a chiropractic adjustment by applying a controlled force to the affected area of your body, with the ultimate goal of restoring health.
Scheduling an Appointment with Thriveworks Mechanicsville
Do you experience the same issues discussed above that often lead people to seek chiropractic care? Are you interested in improving and maintaining your health and wellbeing? If the answer is yes, then we can help you. Whether you’re suffering with a painful injury, you can’t shake the migraines, or your sore body could use some tending to, working with a chiropractor at Thriveworks Mechanicsville will benefit you.
If you’ve decided that you want to explore this service, we are ready and excited to set you up with a caring healthcare provider today. Fortunately, scheduling an appointment with a chiropractor at Thriveworks Mechanicsville isn’t a difficult task. In fact, it’s an easy one! Simply give us a call and a scheduling specialist will help you take the next steps toward healing.