Ty’s relationship with his wife Dawna has been on the rocks lately. Even though they enjoy movie nights with the kids, weekend trips to the lake, and plenty of time to do what they love, there’s something off between them, and it’s starting to worry Ty. And lately, they’ve been getting into some intense arguments, some of which have started to affect the kids. The other evening, one of his young sons asked him if he and mom were getting a divorce, and the other has started getting into trouble at school—it seems like things have gone too far.
Thankfully, Ty and Dawna were able to catch up after the kids went to school. Both of them agree that they want to preserve their relationship but also realize that the fights they’ve been getting into have negatively impacted their children. Not wanting to lose any more ground, both Ty and Dawna are thinking about connecting with a family counselor as a way to start moving forward again. Even though they’re anxious about talking with a professional, both partners know that their family comes first, and getting a counselor’s assistance could be beneficial.
If Ty and Dawna’s situation rings a bell, then maybe your family or household is at odds with each other. Unhealthy family dynamics are never easy to deal with, especially since turbulence in these important relationships hit so close to home. But thankfully, with family counseling services through Thriveworks in Lawton, OK, you and your relatives can establish new boundaries of love and respect, and team up with a qualified provider to rebuild your relationships.
What Is Family Counseling?
Similar to couples therapy or marriage counseling, family counseling is a type of group therapy that involves loved ones sitting and talking together with their provider. Family counseling sessions often aim to promote communication and establish healthy boundaries for each relative. It’s important to remember that there’s no universal code that determines if your family needs family counseling, but some common warning signs include:
- Communication skills that aren’t fully developed, resulting in constant arguments and bickering
- Residual anger or resentment between relatives over perceived wrongs or shortcomings
- Undiagnosed behavioral issues
- Stress from caring for a disabled or elderly member
- Deaths within the family that have occurred without time to process the event
- One or more family members struggling with PTSD
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol in response to stress
- Untreated or potentially undiagnosed mental illness or disorders that family members are suffering from, like ADHD or depression
While these are often indications of unstable family dynamics that can cause harm, instability isn’t the only reason for families to go to counseling together. In fact, at Thriveworks in Lawton, OK we believe that any family, regardless of their situation, can benefit from learning to understand and empathize more with each other.
How Can My Family Benefit From Talking with a Counselor?
When considering family counseling, there can often be misgivings or uncertainties about connecting with a mental health professional. Some family members might be afraid of the counselor choosing another relative’s side, chastising them, or the counselor trying to separate their family from each other. The reality is that our providers aren’t interested in any of that—their job is to connect with you and to highlight the importance of the familial bonds that tie you all together. Family counseling is a great way to protect the close relationships between you and your loved ones and isn’t designed to harm them.
Family counseling can be a great way to:
- Take advantage of a counselor’s presence—a neutral third party that allows for more balanced dialogue and candid discussion
- Create stronger boundaries of respect and encourage compromise
- Get treatment for previously undiagnosed mental illness
- Strengthen your relationship with your loved ones by utilizing a safe space for each of you to speak candidly about your experience
- Foster compassion and encourage compromise towards one another
- Improve your communication skills and become a better listener
Plus, with online family counseling options with Thriveworks in Lawton, OK, it’s even easier to stay close when you can attend your sessions virtually. As long as everyone has reliable internet and a private space to talk with your counselor, you’ll be set. And rest assured that our online family counseling sessions follow the same strict guidelines from the APA and HIPAA as our in-person appointments.
Call Thriveworks in Lawton, OK to Schedule Family Counseling Today
Getting help for your family shouldn’t be stressful or frustrating, and that’s why we’ve made enrolling with us as easy as possible. You can start by calling our Lawton, OK office, where you’ll be connected with someone from our scheduling team. Our scheduling specialists are available seven days a week and can help you with everything from setting up your insurance to finding a provider, even if there’s no one in your local area. Plus, when they’ve helped you finish enrolling, you’ll gain access to our exclusive benefits that other providers struggle to match, such as:
- Weekend and evening session availability
- Email contact with your provider in-between sessions
- Our Q/A chat line: Ask a Thriveworks life coach all of your questions that can’t wait till the next session
- No waitlist
- 23.5hr cancellations
Family comes first, and dealing with an imbalanced family life can be difficult to manage. Thankfully, you’re not alone. Reach out to Thriveworks in Lawton, OK, and connect with a family counselor who can help you find the common ground and communication tools you need to start enjoying your lives together once more.