What comes to mind if you stop to consider what makes you feel anxious? Perhaps it’s social gatherings, talking with strangers, speaking in public—you name it. Whatever your fears are, the feelings associated with anxiety are highly unpleasant. But, like it or not, anxiety is a part of our everyday life. Sometimes it can be healthy to face anxiety and step out of our comfort zone a little bit.
But when it comes to persistent anxiety, things are different. Instead of being an infrequent hurdle, anxiety becomes a disruptive force. It can damage our self-image, relationships, and our life goals and aspirations. But anxiety can often be managed and mitigated with the help of a mental health professional. With their experience and insight, you don’t have to navigate the challenges of recurring anxiety by yourself.
At Thriveworks in Lawton, OK, we’d like to help you with the symptoms of your anxiety by connecting you with one of our licensed providers. With the assistance of a mental health professional, your anxiety can be better coped with, and you can start enjoying life once again.
How Can Therapy or Psychiatric Care Help Me with My Anxiety?
The type of treatment that you’ll receive from your provider depends on your unique mental health needs and the severity of your anxiety, so it’s best to call our office to find more information and book a session. However, some common symptoms of anxiety can manifest as:
- Constantly feeling stressed
- Desire to avoid social encounters
- Reliving traumatic experiences in dreams or flashbacks
- Racing thoughts, inability to focus on daily tasks
- Constant fatigue
If you’re not seeing any of your symptoms listed, don’t worry. These are just some of the different ways that anxiety can appear in certain people.
Our clients are typically matched with one of two different provider types: our counselors and therapists (known as psychologists) and our psychiatrists. Both psychologists and psychiatrists can diagnose and treat mental health conditions, but psychiatrists differ slightly in that they are medical doctors in addition to being licensed to conduct therapy. This combinative approach of both helpful prescription medication and therapy can better assist clients with severe or persistent cases of depression.
Are There Different Types of Anxiety?
Though we often think of anxiety as one condition, the term actually refers to a set of closely related emotional disorders. There are multiple types of anxiety, but some of the common forms that our providers assist with include:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): GAD causes anxiety in different scenarios, whether real or imagined. This disorder can be difficult to identify because it isn’t necessarily linked to any one situation or trigger.
- Social anxiety disorder: As the name suggests, social anxiety disorder manifests as sensations of fear and extreme restlessness in social scenarios. This disorder can be induced by a fear of crowded spaces, conversations with strangers or coworkers—even family members. Sufferers often become anti-social to self-treat their condition.
- Panic disorder: This type of anxiety disorder causes panic attacks, which are often triggered by negative feelings associated with past events, imaginary scenarios, or current stressors. Panic attacks have been described as causing pressure or pain in the chest, followed by rapid heartbeat and tingling in the toes and fingers.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): This disorder often induces irrational thought loops, or impulses to perform random physical actions in repetition.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Many people associate PTSD with veterans and first responders, but PTSD can affect anyone whose had a traumatic event that they witnessed or experienced. PTSD can induce flashbacks and night terrors related to the related events
Call Thriveworks in Lawton, OK to Schedule a Therapy or Psychiatry Session
If you’re interested in discovering the different ways that connecting with a mental health professional can benefit you, get in touch with our office in Lawton, OK. You’ll be assisted with each step of the client process by our scheduling specialists. They’re available to help seven days a week, and can be a useful resource when you’re trying to find the right provider, schedule a session, or add your insurance to cover costs. Thriveworks also offers great benefits to those who become a client, such as:
- Evening and weekend session times
- Online therapy or psychiatric services from the comfort of your home
- Our life coach Q/A chat line for the questions you might have in between sessions
- A flexible 23.5-hour cancellation policy—just let us know less than a day before your appointment if you can’t make it
Even though it can be intimidating to think about talking to a stranger about the anxiety that’s holding you back, remember that our team of providers is committed to your mental health. They aren’t going to judge or chastise you. When it’s time for anxiety to stop calling the shots, reach out to Thriveworks in Lawton, OK. You’ll be paired with an experienced mental health professional—someone who can be a consistent ally as you cope with and manage your mental health.