You probably lead a busy life, pursuing career goals, caring for your loved ones, making time for hobbies, and hanging out with friends. But, sometimes, your mental health needs can slip through the cracks while you’re focused on living life to the fullest.
Maybe you’ve always been curious about therapy or counseling but felt like your work or academic schedule would prevent you from driving to an office. Perhaps childcare responsibilities keep you from leaving your house for hours at a time. Maybe the thought of speaking about difficult topics feels overwhelming.
Fortunately, online therapy or counseling through phone calls or video chat is more accessible than ever before. Online counseling might be the right choice for you if:
- You prefer not to travel.
- There are no reliable means of transportation available.
- You’re nervous about speaking to a provider face-to-face.
- There are no counseling centers within a reasonable distance of your home.
- You frequently move for work or school.
- You want to attend relationship or family counseling with people who are far away.
- Mobility or health issues make scheduling regular sessions difficult.
Some clients simply find online appointments more convenient than traditional therapy or counseling sessions. If you want to speak with a licensed mental health professional, consider reaching out to Thriveworks Counseling in Eugene, OR.
What Therapies Can Online Counselors Offer?
Thanks to modern technology, in-person appointments are no longer the only way to attend therapy or counseling. It’s possible to consult professionals like psychiatrists, psychologists, and life coaches through convenient virtual means.
Therapy and counseling focus on a guided conversation between client and provider. This means that many types of therapy and counseling work in a virtual environment. There are many types of therapy and counseling offered online, including:
- Anger and stress management
- Therapy for depression and anxiety
- Couples therapy
- Family and child therapy
- Therapy for eating disorders
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Addiction or substance abuse counseling
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) counseling
- Life coaching and career counseling
- LGBTQ+ counseling
- Grief and loss counseling
Licensed professionals from Thriveworks in Eugene, OR, can provide these services on a short or long-term basis and help you get back to the important things in life. Whether you have mental health concerns, need help navigating a new relationship, or want to process a family disagreement, working with a mental health professional can help.
How Online Mental Health Services Work
Online therapy or counseling can be helpful for a wide range of issues. Getting help doesn’t have to wait until your circumstances feel desperate. The process is very similar to traditional appointments — you’ll speak with a therapist or counselor about your concerns and work together to form a treatment plan that fits into your life.
The critical difference between online and in-person therapy or counseling is the way you access care. Instead of spending time in a waiting room before joining your provider in their office, you’ll use your phone or computer to connect.
- Therapy or counseling via phone calls: You might find, like many others, that voicing your concerns during a phone call is a low-pressure way to approach therapy. At the beginning of your scheduled appointment, your provider will call the number you gave. Then, simply pick up to start your session.
- Therapy or counseling via video calls: If you still want the face-to-face experience that comes with traditional therapy or counseling, sessions via video calls might be the route for you. Shortly before your scheduled appointment, you’ll receive a link to a secure video chat room. When you follow the link, you’ll be brought to a virtual waiting room and then invited to the session by your provider.
One of the benefits of virtual therapy or counseling is that it’s at your fingertips wherever you go. You can join a session when you’re out of town, while your children take a nap, or during a lunch break. For the best experience during your sessions, try to find a comfortable spot with good cell reception or wireless signal. Avoid areas with a lot of background noise. And if you live with other people, ask them for privacy during your session.
Schedule Online Appointments at Thriveworks in Eugene, OR
Online mental health services can fit into your schedule easily. Call our office today if you’re ready to schedule your first appointment at Thriveworks Counseling in Eugene, OR. We offer appointments throughout the week, including weekend and evening sessions. Our providers accept many types of insurance and can be reached between sessions using text or email.
Other Thriveworks perks include:
- Counselor-moderated community discussion forums
- A free e-copy of our e-book, “Leaving Depression Behind.”
- 24-hour Q+A service with a life coach
- Text support for booking and billing
- Flexible cancellations
Get started by calling our office or using the online booking tool to schedule a session at Thriveworks Counseling in Eugene, OR. However you access therapy or counseling, we look forward to meeting you!