Counseling for Autism – Therapists and Counselors in Colorado Springs, CO
Autism (or Autism Spectrum Disorder) is a broad word characterizing many unique difficulties that challenge an estimated 1.5 million people in the United States. Although Autism may make the road a little bumpier, it does not have to be a devastating condition. Many people with Autism are incredibly successful, independent and happy. This is more likely to happen, however, with therapeutic help from an early age. Colorado Springs Thriveworks can aid people of all ages to be more independent, less stressed and to be better communicators.
Most children begin to display symptoms of autism before 3 years old. Although each case is different (hence the spectrum part of autism spectrum), the hallmark of autism is difficulty socializing. Colorado Springs Thriveworks will help children and people with autism to become independent now and in the future. Although there is no ‘Autism test’, review some of these common symptoms of Autism if you are wondering about someone you care about:
- Facial features not showing emotions by 6 months (smiling, expressing joy)
- No babbling or acknowledging other’s presence by 1 year (pointing, waving)
- Not using fully formed words by 16 months
- Sensitive to light, sound or touch
- Needing a specific routine (and get upset when that routine is changed)
- Have repeated body movements (like rocking themselves back and forth)
- Uncomfortable in social situations
This is not a comprehensive list of Autism symptoms, because every case is unique! This is why it is important for Colorado Springs therapists to work on a case-by-case basis, tailoring each plan accordingly.
Autism Therapy at Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs Thriveworks stresses the fact that individuals with autism can grow into successful, independent adults with guidance. It can happen sooner than you may think! Matt Savage is a Jazz Pianist who by 23 had already toured the world and won many prestigious awards. Although we can’t guarantee you or your child will become a world-famous piano player- it shows that finding and growing the strengths in people can lead to success.
Our counselors in Colorado Springs use a variety of methods, including:
- Behavioral Training Management (a reward system)
- Sensory Integration Therapy (helping people cope with their sensitivities to sound, touch, smell)
- Occupational Therapy (developing skills that will allow for more independency such as bathing, eating, or dressing)
- Picture Exchange Communication System (use pictures to enhance communication skills)
These methods can help individuals of any age begin (or continue) to live independently and successfully. And we truly do mean any age, although the best results are seen when a younger child receives therapy. Dan Aykroyd, who co-wrote and co-produced the original ghostbusters, didn’t know he was autistic until he was into his career as a producer, but once he found out, he was able to properly address autistic behaviors and thrive even more.
Thriveworks at Colorado Springs also acknowledges the hard work and stress that comes along with raising an autistic child. Our goal is to support the care giver, as well as the child. We hope to provide resources and tools to help at home.
So, whether you are a parent of a child with autism, or you think you may be autistic yourself, give Colorado Springs Thriveworks a call and we will be thrilled to help you on this journey 719-266-3919