Counseling for academic and school concerns in Colorado Springs
School, from kindergarten thru college, can be a place of turmoil, struggle, fear and failure. Many of our students feel stuck, unable to escape the madness they feel each day. Parents and teachers are often times willing to help, however they are unable to get to the root of a problem. Some common school struggles we see at Thriveworks are:
- Perfectionism, fear of failure
- Learning difficulties
- Time management and organization
- Social connections. Lack of friends and/or bullying
- Peer pressure
- College, career, planning for next steps
- Stress management
- Depression and anxiety
The good news is that you and your student are not alone! There is support available. At Thriveworks Colorado Springs, our clinicians have plenty of experience in working with schools, including navigating academic plans (IEP, 504, TAG) and behavioral plans (MTSS, point sheets). With a release of information signed by parents/guardians, we can connect with the school and be an advocate for your child/teen.
Identifying the root of the problem is key to moving forward to healing and growing. Sometimes children, teens and young adults are unaware of the beliefs that drive their behavior. Exploring these core beliefs in a non-judgmental and genuine atmosphere will allow any person to grow in a positive way.
Developmentally, children, teens and young adults move through cognitive, emotional, social, physical and moral development stages. Becoming aware of these stages and working with each child/teen within this stage is key to helping them to grow and flourish. Having accurate expectations and knowing what to expect and what to challenge as a parent or caregiver is helpful also.
Career counseling, College planning, Counseling for next steps
Identity development is a key stage to work through in order to confidently move forward in life. Having a sense of self and identity will allow people to have the confidence to set goals and take risks. Through exploration of personal values, beliefs, and goals, the self-identity will grow, creating an inner sense of confidence and self-esteem. With this growth of self, exploration of next steps is possible.
Academic and School Counseling in Colorado Springs: Beautiful Chaos.
Beautiful chaos -from the nervous smiles of parents, to the calm presence of the teachers, to the excitement of the kids, every first day – from kindergarten though college, is full of apprehension, uncertainty. People of all ages are looking for that fresh start, with new perspectives and intentions. What can we do to prepare ourselves? Our families? Let’s look at these strategies to make this year, the BEST year, all year long.
- Gather yourself – rest, eat, exercise – do something for yourself each day.
- Be intentional – Think through realistic expectations. Address the specific actions to meet these expectations.
- Be self-aware – awareness of stress, tiredness, ect will allow you to take action to address it before it become detrimental. Have self-compassion; expect mistakes and growth. Nobody is perfect.
- Communicate clearly– Decipher between your needs and wants. Use “I statements” to communicate these to others.
- Prioritize what needs to be done, prepare for the upcoming event, perform – give it your best effort.
- Be silly, spontaneous, simple minded. We all need this from time to time.
- Connect with others– support those we care for. Accept support from them.
- Belong to something. Band, sports, scouts, clubs. Being a part of something fulfills us.
This list is not easy! However, modeling these strategies and encouraging your child/teen to engage in them will build resilience. Taking care of ourselves will allow for a better chance at a successful intervention when challenges arise. When we take care of ourselves, we are resilient, have more grit and take more risks. Let’s care for ourselves this school year and notice the difference!
If you’d like support with this or with your child/teen, call 719-266-3919 for an appointment with a Thriveworks Counseling and Life Coaching clinician.