When we lose a loved one, we’re often left with devastating grief. Suddenly, life freezes and begins to spin at once. It can feel like your heart has been ripped right out of your chest; or it can feel like an empty void that is impossible to fill. The specific experience is different for each individual and each loss, but one thing is certain: life is altered.
“Grief falls upon human beings as the rain, not selecting good or evil, visiting the innocent, condemning those who have done no wrong.” –Richard Jefferies
Sometimes, one is simply altered in that they realize how fragile life is. Others, though, are shaken to their core and altered in more ways than one—they fall into a deep depression, they aren’t able to focus at work, they feel guilty for their last interaction with the individual lost, and so on. These effects are often grave, and they highlight the importance of grieving well—which might involve reaching out to a grief counselor who can walk you through the process.
Looking for Macomb therapy after losing a loved one? If you have recently lost a loved one and you need some help or support, consider working with a grief counselor at Thriveworks Sterling Heights in Macomb, MI. Our providers are equipped with the skills, experience, and care required to help you heal and move forward with your life. If you are ready to start healing today, call Thriveworks Sterling Heights at (586) 238-4265.
What Are the Symptoms and Effects of Grief?
Anyone who has lost a loved one at any point in their life knows just how painful it can be. That said, they might not know all of the symptoms and effects that can accompany grief, as each experience is unique. Negative effects of grief and loss include:
- Difficulty staying or falling asleep
- Irrational thoughts or behaviors
- Sudden changes in appetite or weight
- Fear or confusion
- Panic attacks
- Depression or anxiety
The grief counselors at Thriveworks Sterling Heights in Macomb County can help you to work through these difficult feelings and physical effects of grief and loss. They will get to know you, the nature of your loss, as well as your needs in counseling. Then, they will build a plan for your recovering from the loss and going on to live a happy, fulfilled life.
Does Grief Counseling Really Work?
The grieving process is largely personal and individualized. In other words, no two experiences are the same. That being said, experts have named several stages that you may enter at any point in your grief process, which include:
- Denial and Isolation: In this stage, the individual denies the loss. This is a normal response to overwhelming emotions that accompany the loss of a loved one. Typically, the individual enters this stage first.
- Anger: The “anger” stage is self-explanatory. It is marked with anger and typically follows the denial stage.
- Bargaining: This stage is characterized by helplessness. The individual engages in “if only” statements like, “If only I had been a little nicer,” or, “If only I’d taken them to see a doctor sooner.”
- Depression: Grieving can bring on feelings or symptoms of depression, too. This stage is characterized by intense sadness and regret.
- Acceptance: And finally, at some point, the individual may accept the loss. It can be viewed as the calm after the storm.
You may relate to any or all of these stages of grief. Or, you might experience a different grief process all together. Either way, a grief counselor at Thriveworks Sterling Heights in Macomb, MI can help you through it. Call us today to book an appointment.
Schedule a Grief Counseling Session at Thriveworks Sterling Heights in Macomb, MI
Are you considering or searching for Macomb therapy after losing a beloved friend or family member? Consider working with a grief counselor at Thriveworks Sterling Heights. They can help you make sense of this difficult time and find healing.
Schedule an appointment with ease by calling (586) 238-4265. When you call to schedule an appointment, a scheduling specialist will help you to get set up with one of our providers at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you and getting started.