Depression Counselors and Therapists in Peachtree, GA—Counseling, Therapy
Have you ever woken up, already feeling tired and beaten down by the day ahead? What about worthless—have you ever rolled over, and felt like there was absolutely no reason for you to get out of bed? Or maybe you’ve felt hopeless. Unmotivated. Uninterested. Or maybe there have been times when you didn’t feel anything at all: you were a zombie, void of feeling.
Someone with depression can feel all of the above at the exact same time: tired, worthless, hopeless, unmotivated, uninterested, and empty. What’s more is they can experience all of these things at the exact same time, for days, weeks, months, years, if they don’t get the help that they need.
“Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with your money, but with you.” –Mandy Hale
Fortunately, there is help out there for people with depression. Counseling has proven effective, time and time again, and it could help you too. If you feel depressed or experience any combination of depression symptoms, consider working with a counselor or psychologist at Thriveworks Peachtree. Our depression counselors are dedicated to helping you find health and happiness again, despite your depression.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Sometimes people experience symptoms of depression but they don’t understand them as symptoms of a mental illness. Instead, they think that it’s normal for them to feel sad and empty, or they are too scared to explore the possibility of depression. It’s important that we understand what it’s like to feel depressed and when we should get help. So, here are the signs and symptoms of depression:
- Feelings of intense sadness, hopelessness, or despair
- Loss of interest in most daily activities
- Weight gain or loss
- Significant changes in appetite
- Disruption of sleep patterns
- Changes in activity, energy levels
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Guilt or self-hatred
- Diminished ability to think or concentrate
- Suicidal thoughts
If the above symptoms hit a little close to home, you might be depressed. And depending on the amount as well as the severity of symptoms, you might have major depression, minor depression, or another form of depression. In any case, it’s important you talk with a professional about your symptoms so that you can find the treatment you need.
How Can Counseling Help with Depression?
Depression counseling doesn’t follow a linear path. Instead, it is catered to the individual, based on their symptoms, their goals, and what proves effective for them. If you decide to work with a depression counselor at Thriveworks Peachtree, your counselor will first get to know you and your presentation of symptoms. Then, they’ll design treatment just for you. Treatment might involve the following:
- Discussing and changing negative thinking: Many of us engage in a bad habit called negative thinking. Our minds learn to assume the worst. For example, when we make one mere mistake, we deem ourselves dumb or incapable. This plays a huge role in the development of depression. Therefore, depression counseling often involves identifying negative thoughts and thinking more positive thoughts.
- Understanding and engaging in self-care: Self-care is vital to our health and happiness, yet many of us put it on the backburner. And when we do, we put ourselves at a greater risk of developing depression as well as other mental illnesses. So, depression counselors often talk to their clients about self-care. They help them to understand the importance and then pick a few activities that he or she will engage in each day.
If you think that a depression counselor could benefit you, reach out to Thriveworks Peachtree. Our counselors are ready to help you find health, happiness, and healing from depression.
Schedule Depression Counseling at Thriveworks Peachtree
There is no shame in admitting you feel depressed and seeking help. In fact, it’s the brave thing to do. If you think you might have depression, give Thriveworks Peachtree a call. We will set you up with a depression counselor who has impressive skills and experience which will help you reach a happy, healthy place again. If you’re ready to start counseling, so are we. We look forward to hearing from you and beginning this journey together soon.