Anorexia and Bulimia Counseling – Therapists and Counselors in Knoxville
In the US alone, around 30 million people suffer from the eating disorders known as anorexia and bulimia; disorders that can be life threatening and even fatal.
The good thing is that these conditions, common even in Knoxville, can be treated and prevented. The bad thing, however, is that only few of people who suffer these disorders receive treatment.
According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, they are estimated at only around 10 percent of the total number of sufferers.
The Causes of Anorexia and Bulimia
It has always been thought that these eating disorders are nothing more than results of low self-esteem and the obsession over body image. However, the truth has proven to be more complex than previously thought.
What can bring these conditions on?
- Genes are an underlying cause. Those with one or more family members suffering from these disorders are 12 times more likely to end up experiencing these disorders as well. Attitude towards food is also affected by the genes.
- Mental health issues can also be a cause. One classic symptom of depression is the revulsion or fixation with food. However, it is also possible depressive symptoms are a result of these disorders among sufferers.
- Traumatic experiences, particularly those involving physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, as well as those experiences that destroy confidence, or increase guilt or shame, can also influence disorder risks.
- Exposure to materials like diet and weight-loss pills, among others.
- Environmental influences like peer pressure may also be behind these eating disorders.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- Depression and anxiety
- Obsession with body image
- Incidents of excessive eating followed by purging (vomiting the food back out)
- Avoiding eating altogether
- Going on a restrictive diet to shave off pounds (which leads to loss of essential nutrients)
- Fixation with reaching or maintaining a certain weight
- Feeling of a sense of shame or guilt after eating
Challenges and How to Get Bulimia Therapy
Anorexia and bulimia should not be taken lightly as they have consequences that can impact the rest of your life.
The loss of essential nutrients through inadequate food intake can lead to more serious complications like scurvy as well as diseases like stroke, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension. For those who purge with alarming frequency, there is also the risk of choking on one’s own vomit.
Those who suffer from eating disorders also tend to be trapped in an endless cycle of guilt, shame, and depression, that in turn can also cause suicidal. tendencies.
The battle against these disorders can be tough. If you happen to be living in Knoxville you should know that you don’t have to face this fight alone.
Don’t let these disorders ruin your life. Make the right decision and call us today. We have qualified, trained, and experienced counselors who can give you the necessary professional and reliable support to make sure you leave this problem behind and never fall back into it again.