How to Deal with Depression – Therapists and Counselors in Charlotte
Your life isn’t always sunshine and flowers. There are events that will occur from time to time that will make you feel less than happy. That’s OK. It’s totally normal to be sad when a loved one dies or something you were really looking forward to falls through. Upsets happen. We are bothered for a time, but then we work through it (usually) and get on with the necessities of daily living.
For many, these “down” times can actually result in greater happiness and appreciation for life, but for others, the dark moods can linger for longer than is appropriate. You might get caught in a cycle of negative thoughts that quickly spiral you into feeling awful — consistently — for weeks. Maybe even years.
If you’re experiencing low moods for an extended period of time, there is a chance that you might be suffering from a depression disorder. Do not let this alarm you, however. Depression isn’t something that’s your fault or representative of a character flaw. Depression is a real disease that millions face.
What is sad, however, is that many people who become depressed are so overwhelmed with dark feelings that they don’t know life any other way. You might believe that this is simply “you,” but we’re here to tell you that these depressive feelings don’t have to run (or ruin) your life. You can find relief and change, just like countless others have, by deciding to seek care from a skilled depression counselor at Thriveworks Charlotte.
How Do I Know if I’m Depressed?
We would never recommend self-diagnosis, but what we can do is explain a little bit of what goes into the diagnosis that your clinician will make after getting to know you and learning about your past and current challenges.
There are many different types of depression (which you can read about here), but one of the key characteristics is prolonged feelings of sadness.
In addition, someone with a depression disorder may experience:
- Difficulty focusing
- Belabored decision-making abilities
- Loss of interest in formerly enjoyed activities
- Chronic fatigue
- Consistently negative, self-deprecating thoughts
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Sleep issues (too much, too little or irregular)
- Weight fluctuations (loss or gain)
- Persistent feelings of guilt
- Physical issues that do not improve with normal medical treatment
- Ongoing anxiety or “empty” feelings
- Suicide thoughts and/or attempts
Any one of the above symptoms by itself can completely cripple you, making your professional and personal life incredibly difficult to navigate.
There’s Hope from Depression
The good news is that you don’t have to live this way any more. You don’t have to be defined by your depression or let it keep you from living a fulfilled life of continued growth and progress.
Depression is highly common and highly treatable, but many never seek help, for whatever reason. At Thriveworks Charlotte, we understand that meeting with a counselor can be an uncomfortable prospect — especially if you’ve never met with one before (of if you’ve had an unfortunate experience with a less-than-suitable clinician).
We want to make this process as simple to approach as possible, while also remaining as transformative as possible:
- That’s why we when you call us, we answer (no leaving uncomfortable/sensitive voicemails!)
- That’s why we do not operate on a waiting list — you can literally meet with your counselor tomorrow
- That’s why we accept most insurance providers — your mental health shouldn’t be prevented by financial restrictions
- That’s why we offer a subscription program with phone and email access to your clinician (even when you don’t have an appointment)
You can change. You can thrive. Thriveworks Charlotte Depression Therapy can help.