Gambling Addiction Counseling, Treatment in Bethlehem, PA—Therapists and Counselors at Thriveworks Lehigh Valley
In an episode of the family-favorite Full House, Stephanie and D.J. beckon their uncle Joey over to the slot machines. They’re bursting at the seams with excitement, as they just saw someone “win big.” In an effort to show the kids that gambling is a bad idea, he steps up to the plate and pulls the lever. He’s rewarded two dollars. Unimpressed, he tells the kids, “Don’t be fooled by beginner’s luck.” Then he pulls again. This time, $10 spits out at him. Excited, Joey exclaims, “Don’t quit while you’re ahead!” and continues playing the game, much to Stephanie’s and D.J.’s excitement.
“Gambling: the sure way of getting nothing for something.” –Wilson Mizner
For some, gambling is an innocent and rare activity. They play the slots during a trip to Vegas or they try their luck at poker in Monte Carlo, for mere entertainment. But for some, gambling becomes an addiction. They aren’t just playing for fun or while on vacation—they’re gambling every weekend and in their own living rooms; they’re gambling even after losing a significant amount of money; and they’re risking their life stability to feed their hunger for more.
Does this description resonate with you? Do you feel like you’re surrendering more and more control to your desire to gamble? Don’t worry, a counselor at Thriveworks Bethlehem can help with your gambling addiction. The mental health professionals at Thriveworks are experts in the mental health field: they have extensive training and experience, of which will enable them to assist you in healing from this addiction.
Do I Have a Gambling Addiction?
There are clear differences between gambling and being addicted to gambling. However, it isn’t always so clear to the afflicted individual that they have a problem. That said, the following signify a possible gambling addiction:
- The individual is constantly thinking about gambling: reflecting on past bets and planning for future gambles
- They experience emotions like irritability or restlessness when they attempt to stop.
- They risk their job, relationships, and more, in addition to money they put on the table.
- The individual lies to others about where, when, and how much they’re gambling.
- They continue to gamble even when it causes financial trouble
- The individual tries to win their money back by gambling more
- They gamble to cope with anxiety, depression, and other difficult feelings
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), diagnosis requires that an individual presents at least four of the above for one year or longer. That said, if any of these symptoms sound all too familiar, you could be headed down a dark path. A counselor at Thriveworks Bethlehem can help you manage the symptoms you’re experiencing and stop these harmful patterns—whether you meet the criteria for diagnosis or you’re just beginning to present problematic behaviors and want to stop them in their tracks.
Schedule a Session with a Counselor at Thriveworks Bethlehem
The first step in managing your gambling addiction is to set up an appointment with a skilled, caring counselor, of which you can find at Thriveworks Bethlehem. To schedule your session, just give us a call at 484-241-2848 and a scheduling specialist will assist you. Here’s what you can expect:
- A prompt response: When you call, a scheduling specialist will help you to set up your first session as soon as your schedule allows. You won’t be placed on a waiting list; instead, you will be paired with a counselor who has the expertise as well as the time to help you.
- Flexibility: Our providers understand that the “normal” day-time, weekday appointments just aren’t realistic for some. That’s why we offer evening and weekend appointments as well.
- Quality Care: You can rest assured that our counselors possess all of the tools needed to provide you with the quality care you’re looking for: that is, the knowledge, the training, the experience, and the compassion.
What do you say? Are you ready to make some changes that will help you to live an overall better life? Come see us. We look forward to hearing from you and working with you soon.