If we’re being honest with ourselves, we all experience some really difficult feelings: when we’re less than enough in a relationship; when a loved one loses their battle with a chronic illness; when we receive a third and fourth, “We’re sorry, we’re not able to offer you employment at this time.” We feel debilitating sadness, uncontrollable anger, and crippling worry. And sometimes, we sink into a deep depression.
“Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is.” –Atticus
Depression makes even the simplest tasks seem daunting. It can make going to work or school feel next to impossible. And it can completely uproot what we know to be meaningful. In sum, it can change life as we know it—for the worst. Are you ready for the good news? This illness is treatable. You can manage the harmful symptoms that make this illness so debilitating. And a counselor can help you do so.
Are you in need of depression counseling? You’ve come to the right place. The providers at Thriveworks Bethlehem in Lehigh Valley are experts in the mental health field and they know how to help their clients with a variety of challenges, such as depression. They’ll assist you in learning to manage your symptoms and live a happy, healthy life despite depression.
What Exactly Is Depression? Am I Depressed?
There are different types of depression, from major depression to minor depression, seasonal depression, postpartum depression, and many more. But when you hear about depression, it’s most often major depression. This disorder is common, as an estimated 19 million Americans are living with the illness right now. Symptoms include:
- Feelings of deep despair or hopelessness
- Loss of interest in everyday activities
- Significant changes in weight or appetite
- Difficulty sleeping
- Changes in activity levels
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Difficulty concentrating
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Low self-esteem
- Thoughts of suicide or death
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) states that one must experience at least five of these symptoms (of which must include one or both of the first items on the list above) most of the day, nearly every day, for two weeks or longer to be meet criteria for a major depression diagnosis. That said, if you’re experiencing any combination of the above and think you could benefit from mental health help, you can find value in working with a counselor at Thriveworks Bethlehem. They’ll assess your symptoms and assist you in coming up with a plan for managing your depressive thoughts/feelings.
How Can Counseling Help?
There are different options when it comes to treating depression, but counseling has proven to help many different people, as the sessions are tailored to an individual’s specific presentation. That said, you can expect your counselor or psychologist at Thriveworks Bethlehem to work with you to manage your symptoms in and outside of therapy. Additionally, you’ll learn about the importance of…
- Socializing: Often, those who feel depressed will isolate themselves from others. But the thing is, isolation only makes matters worse. It’s important you socialize and spend time with the people most important to you. Your counselor will help you break out of your shell and find the motivation to make some plans.
- Correcting negative thinking: We are all guilty of employing negative thinking patterns. We assume the worst and we put ourselves down because of these assumptions. In depression counseling, you’ll learn to adopt more positive thoughts which will help your symptoms dramatically.
- Living a healthy lifestyle: While you might feel less motivated to take care of yourself when you feel depressed, it’s incredibly important that you make living a healthy lifestyle a priority. This means eating good food, exercising, and doing your best to get some sleep. Again, your counselor will guide you in making these improvements.
Schedule a Depression Counseling Session at Thriveworks Bethlehem in Lehigh Valley
If you’re interested in depression counseling, call Thriveworks Bethlehem to schedule an appointment today. Your counselor or psychologist will assess your symptoms, make an effective treatment plan for you, and ultimately lead you in living a better life. Are you ready to start this journey? Give us a call at 484-241-2848 and a scheduling specialist will get you all set up. We look forward to hearing from you soon!