Anger Management in Tampa, FL—Anger Management Counselors and Therapists
When people are angry, their peace of mind disappears, and the body becomes tense and uncomfortable. Sometimes people are so restless that they find it next to impossible to sleep—and when they do fall asleep, it is fitful. People with anger find it hard to enjoy themselves. The anger makes them unhappy and the people in their lives—family, friends and coworkers—feel they are stepping on eggshells around them.
One of the best ways to make anger work for you—rather than against you—is to decide in advance that when you experience anger you will choose to invest the energy from it in a healthy way. The power of anger can block the ability to think clearly. It is important to make a plan for dealing with anger before it happens.
Thousands of people have benefited from anger management therapy at Thriveworks in Tampa, FL. For a decade, the experienced therapists at Thriveworks Tampa Counseling have worked with people with uncontrollable anger to help them recognize its causes, how to respond appropriately to the triggers, and find an anger management plan to enable them to enjoy healthier lives: both mentally and physically.
What Makes People Angry? Common Triggers of Anger
Feelings of anger are caused by how people interpret and react to situations. Everyone has their own triggers that make them angry. Some common triggers are:
- Feeling threatened or attacked.
- Feeling frustrated or powerless.
- Feeling like they are not being treated fairly.
- The stress of debt and money problems.
- The loss of a family member, friend or other loved person.
- Being bullied, humiliated or embarrassed.
Negative Physical Effects of Poor Anger Management
When anger is not managed effectively, people can suffer both mentally and physically. The emotion of anger causes the body to release adrenaline and cortisol—two hormones that are released when people are stressed. The body experiences many reactions when these hormones are released, from increased blood pressure and breathing rate to a rise in pulse and body temperature.
People who get angry often and don’t manage it effectively can suffer from many illnesses. Some of the health problems that may result when a person is regularly angry are:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Trouble sleeping
- Weakened immune system
- Eating disorders
Anger Management Tips from Our Professionals
If you are struggling to control or communicate your anger properly, we recommend working with a professional. In the meantime, you can get started with these tips:
- Stand up and stretch while letting out a sigh.
- Do 10 or 20 jumping jacks.
- Massage the back of your neck with one hand while singing “Happy Birthday” with the other.
- Exaggerate and change your facial expressions.
- Find sunlight either by walking over to a window or leaving the building.
- Eliminate the words “Don’t,” “Not,” and “No.” Replace negative words with another word of the opposite meaning. Instead of saying, “I don’t want war,” say “I want peace.”
- Write. Find a place where you will not be interrupted and bring a notebook and pen. List everything you are grateful for in your life—in the past and present. This can include relationships, friendships, opportunities and material things. Fill the page or lots of pages. This exercise helps you to gain clarity and to remember that there is much to be thankful for.
- Laugh. You can’t laugh and be upset at the same time. When you make the physical movement to laugh or smile, you feel lighthearted. Make a list of movies that make you laugh and stock them at home.
- Snap a Rubber Band. Get a rubber band and keep it around your wrist all the time. Every time you have a thought that leads to a downward negative cycle, snap that rubber band. While it might sting a little, it will actually train your mind to avoid triggering those thoughts.
- Meditate. Meditation is training for the mind. It calms the noise. Regardless of what is happening externally, you have the ability to remain centered and in a state of peace. While in this state, you are rational and have clarity to handle any situation with grace and minimal stress.
Schedule Anger Management at Thriveworks Tampa Counseling
Don’t wait any longer to begin anger management counseling at Thriveworks in Tampa, FL. The therapists at Thriveworks have worked with many people to find the most effective anger management treatment plan. Call us today to get started on the path to leading a healthier life–mentally and physically.