One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to learn about your own anxiety: your symptoms, what triggers it, and what coping mechanisms have been effective in the past. When you learn what your anxiety is tied to, it can help you be mindful of what's really happening as well as prevent and mitigate symptoms by processing and working through the issue in therapy. Other strategies that have been shown to help manage anxiety are meditation, challenging anxious thoughts, exercising, and journaling.
On average, people can tend to attend 15 to 20 session of anxiety therapy (five or more months). However, this number is heavily dependent on the type of anxiety that's being treated and its severity, with many choosing to attend anxiety therapy for a longer period of time to ensure its effectiveness long-term.
Chelsea juggles being a full-time student, running her own photography business, and maintaining a social life. She often finds ways to blend the three by meeting up with her friends to complete their work together. Although Chelsea feels confident in her ability to manage all three, she often finds herself feeling anxious about the day to day tasks. When she has too much on her plate, little inconveniences throughout the day may leave her feeling fatigued and in a mental block.
The symptoms of anxiety can present both emotionally and physically, but almost always are exhausting. If your day to day worry has become excessive and you want help learning how to manage what you experience, you could benefit from working with an anxiety therapist at Thriveworks Tampa Counseling.
Thriveworks Tampa Counseling has anxiety therapists who are well-equipped and ready to help you work through your anxiety. Our providers are highly trained with the proper knowledge and experience to assist you in managing your symptoms, helping you to live a healthier and happier life. If you are ready to experience the benefits of working with one of our therapists, reach out today. You can schedule an appointment with one of our providers by simply calling our office!
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety
Do you feel anxious when you have to speak to others? Do you worry uncontrollably on a day to day basis? Do you find it difficult to fall asleep from everything on your mind? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might need help with anxiety. Here is a list of common physical and emotional symptoms that people may experience:
Emotional symptoms of anxiety:
- Irritability or moodiness
- A feeling of uneasiness
- Uncontrollable worry
Physical symptoms of anxiety:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Change in appetite
- Fatigue and trouble sleeping
- Sweaty palms
- Change in blood pressure
- Muscle tension
If you resonate with any of these symptoms, you know that they are often difficult and almost impossible to deal with on your own. To prevent your mental health from worsening, you can work with a professional who has the specific skillset and knowledge to help you manage your anxiety. They will be able to guide you through your treatment and guide you to a better path of living.
Common Anxiety Disorders: 5 Major Types
As we mentioned before, there are many different ways people can experience anxiety. While some only experience anxiety every now and then, others experience anxiety daily. To help you better navigate your treatment process, a Thriveworks Tampa anxiety therapist will help you identify the type of anxiety you are dealing with. Here are the five major anxiety disorders:
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is characterized by reoccurring and unwanted thoughts as well as repetitive behaviors.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is characterized by magnified worry and tension, even without provocation.
- Panic Disorder: Panic Disorder is characterized by intense fear which causes physical symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or dizziness.
- Post–Traumatic Stress Disorder: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is caused by exposure to a traumatic event. Those who suffer from PTSD experience many different symptoms including flashbacks, insomnia, fear, and more.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: Otherwise known as Social Phobia, Social Anxiety Disorder is characterized by anxiety caused in social situations and interactions. Those with this disorder might be triggered by situations such as public speaking, making phone calls, attending events, and more.
Help is available to anyone who may be experiencing any of the symptoms above. You can start working with a psychologist at Thriveworks Tampa Counseling as soon as today. Our anxiety therapists are ready to help with open arms.
Tips for Overcoming Anxiety
- Stay active: Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and improve your mood. Start slowly and gradually increase as you go.
- Change your thinking patterns: Try to think positively, making no room for negative ideas. What are your best qualities? What is one thing you’ve accomplished today, whether it’s big or small?
- Get enough sleep: By making sleep a priority, you can start to feel less fatigued and have more energy for your day to day routines. Try putting your phone down an hour before you go to bed and occupy your mind with a book if you’re having trouble falling asleep.
- Know your triggers: By identifying what activities or people induce your feelings of anxiety, you can better distance yourself from them and focus on healthier activities to keep you calm.
Work with an Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks Tampa Counseling
Our anxiety therapy professionals are available to give you the care you need, anytime you need it. We have appointments every day, day and night, to help better meet the needs of our community. One of our scheduling specialists will help you get an appointment as soon as possible, often within 24 hours of your initial call.
There’s no need to navigate your anxiety alone. Call us today. We are ready to help you thrive.