Every single day, we run into some sort of obstacle, be it heavy traffic, a broken coffee maker, stress at work, or an argument with a loved one. Sometimes, we’re able to overcome these obstacles: we find an alternate route, grab coffee from a local shop instead, churn out an impressive workload, or talk through the disagreement calmly. But in other circumstances, we aren’t able to overcome the obstacle in front of us. At least not without a little bit of help.
“It is okay to admit that your wounds are still open, that you are still healing. It takes time. It takes time.”
Depression is an obstacle that we often need help overcoming or managing. Why? Because depression makes us feel sad, worthless, and uninterested in the things we used to love. This means that it can be difficult to feel motivated to fix the problem. Not to mention that if we don’t address the problem it can get worse and negatively impact our mental health in more ways than one.
Fortunately, there are people who specialize in helping people with depression. If you feel depressed, reach out to Thriveworks Bensalem in Bucks County. We have depression counselors and psychologists on staff who will impress you with their skills, experience, and caring nature. Once they get to know you and your specific case, they’ll be able to design a treatment plan that will help you live a happy, healthy life again.
Signs of Depression: Do I Have Depression?
Some people don’t recognize their symptoms as signs of depression. For example, someone who feels tired all of the time might attribute their low energy levels to a physical illness. Or, someone who feels uninterested in an activity they used to enjoy might assume they’ve simply grown out of it. In reality, these are two symptoms of depression and they could signify a serious a problem. Here are signs of depression:
- General unhappiness
- Loss of interest in day to day
- Social isolation
- Low energy levels
- Lack of focus
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Suicidal thoughts
If you are experiencing any combination of the above symptoms, you should meet with a mental health professional, as it might signify depression (or another serious mental illness). A counselor at Thriveworks Bensalem can analyze your symptoms, offer diagnosis, and design treatment that will best help you.
Treatment for People with Depression
There are a few methods of treatment for depression that have proven effects: these include medication, counseling, and self-care. Some people benefit from one form of treatment more than others. For example, one person might require counseling while another might need a combination of counseling and antidepressants. And we all, of course, can benefit from a little self-care. Let’s delve into each:
- Medication: The most common and effective form of medication for depression is antidepressants. These help by balancing chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters, which affect one’s emotions. Antidepressants can help to improve your mood, sleep, appetite, and concentration.
- Counseling: Counseling can help someone understand what causes or worsens their depression, from a difficult breakup to the loss of a loved one, a job change, low self-esteem, and so on. Treating depression in counseling often involves talking through one’s thoughts and feelings and them making changes to them that benefit the individual.
- Self-care: Self-care is also important to treatment for depression. We all can benefit from practicing self-care, which might include exercising, journaling, spending more time with friends, or improving your diet!
A combination of the above can often help depressed individuals live happier, healthier lives. In other instances, an individual needs but one form of treatment that proves to give them the boost they need to get better.
Schedule a Depression Counseling Appointment at Thriveworks Bensalem in Bucks County
If you are experiencing symptoms of depression, it’s important you get the help that you need. Reach out to Thriveworks Bensalem to get set up with a Bucks County counselor who specializes in helping individuals with depression. They can help you manage your symptoms, better understand why you might be depressed, and ultimately live a better life.
If you’re ready to get started, we are too. We want to make a meaningful difference in your life. Give Thriveworks Bensalem a call today. We won’t put you on a waiting list, we’ll get you scheduled right away.