Couples therapy works by helping couples identify and better navigate their unique challenges. Following an initial assessment of the couple in terms of strengths and needs, the therapist would then discuss their therapeutic goals and any possible approaches or ways of working together as therapist and couple.
Couples attend sessions together, whether they meet in person or by video. In addition to regular couples therapy sessions, each partner may also be asked to attend a few individual sessions to supplement their progress. This will allow their counselor to get to know each individual better, assess each of their personal needs, and develop the very best treatment plan moving forward.
On average, couples attend couples therapy for 12 weeks. However, couples therapy may last longer or shorter, dependent on the couples' needs, the challenges they'd like to work through, and the pace of their progress.
Couples Counseling in Bensalem, PA—Bucks County Counselors and Therapists
If you and your partner are struggling to address or resolve a conflict, consider working with a couples counselor at Thriveworks Bensalem. We have skilled, caring counselors and therapists who specialize in helping couples improve their relationships. A couples counselor at Thriveworks Bensalem can help you and your significant other address jealousy issues, infidelity, lack of intimacy, parenting conflicts, and more.
It doesn’t matter what stage of your relationship you are in. New, engaged, and married couples can all benefit from working with a counselor or psychologist to create a happier, healthier relationship. If you think you and your partner could benefit, call or schedule online with Thriveworks Bensalem today.
Who Should Utilize Couples Counseling Services?
Here at Thriveworks, we believe that every single individual can improve their life by working with a counselor or coach. This goes for couples, too! You might benefit especially if you are experiencing problems that you can’t or don’t know how to manage.
For example, here are common topics discussed in couples counseling:
- Lack of connection
- Jealousy issues
- Emotional or mental abuse
- Parenting conflicts
- Opposing visions for the future
- A lack of sex or physical intimacy
This is but a small list, which is not inclusive of all issues discussed in couples counseling. It would be virtually impossible to write a comprehensive list, as all relationships are different, as are the challenges they face. The good news is the couples counselors at Thriveworks Bensalem are skilled and experienced, which means they can help you and your partner address whatever it is that’s taking a toll on your relationship.
Finding Value in Couples Counseling: Beneficial Tools
Here’s the thing: your relationship could benefit from couples counseling even if you and your partner aren’t experiencing a conflict right now. How? Because, as we said earlier, no relationship is free of conflict. This means that a conflict will almost definitely arise in your future, whether that’s a month or a year down the road. You can get ahead of the game and begin to tackle it now by learning helpful tools like effective communication techniques.
Here are a few that your Thriveworks Bensalem couples counselor could teach you:
- Use universal statements: Instead of using phrases like “you always/never” you should use “I” statements. These are more effective when communicating with your partner as they aim to focus on your feelings without placing blame on the other individual. As an example, it’s better to say, “I feel like I am not being understood,” as opposed to, “You aren’t listening.”
- Stay focused on the topic at hand: Also, stay on topic. If you’re discussing a lack of intimacy, don’t bring up another argument you had last week or fight about who should do which household chores. You’ll be much more productive if you focus on one topic at a time.
Schedule a Couples Counseling Session at Thriveworks Bensalem, PA
becoming a Thriveworks client opens the door to exclusive benefits, including:
- A fast response time from your provider’s office. Most of our clients have their first session within a week of calling in for the first time.
- Flexible appointment options, including those in the evenings and on the weekends.
- Being able to schedule your session online, or in person.
- A wide range of accepted insurance options
Call Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry Bensalem—because there’s no reason to delay getting a professional’s help. With a provider’s support, you can reclaim your life from the mental health challenges standing in your way.