Addiction is a horrible disease that destroys lives. To be addicted to something is to give up control of your life. A person can become addicted to anything, but the most common things are substances or activities that initially make one feel good or relaxed. Alcohol, narcotics, sex, pornography, and gambling are some of the most addictive substances and activities, and our licensed addiction counselors in Littleton, CO have the experience and the expertise to help you beat them.
Am I an Addict?
If you feel that you’re losing control over some aspect of your life, that you can’t stop doing it and feel shame about doing it, then you might be experiencing an addiction. An easy checklist to determine addiction to something is outlined below. If you or a friend/family member can identify with any of the following symptoms or behavior, then you might want to seek help from the addiction counseling services at Thriveworks in Littleton, CO:
- You crave that next cigarette or that next drink, or that next bet. You need it and find it hard to function until you have it.
- You find that the length of time between indulgences in your addiction is decreasing over time. Your tolerance level is rising and you physically need more of the substance to get the same high or satisfaction as before.
- You hide your behavior or make excuses to justify it. You feel ashamed of it and yet still continue to partake in it. You’ve tried to stop but you can’t and you start to resent yourself, and maybe others, for this.
- Your work is affected. Your friends no longer seem to want you around as much, and your family is upset as you neglect the important things in life.
What’s the Worse That Can Happen?
The worse that can happen is that you die. Addiction can. In the US alone, about 200,000 people die each year from drug overdoses or alcohol abuse. Other scary effects of addiction might be:
- Financial ruin
- Loss of business/job
- Breakup of marriage/relationship
- Long-term health problems
- Loss of custody of children
But you don’t have to wait until you hit rock bottom to get help at Thriveworks in Littleton, CO. Our specialized counselors can help people in any stage of addiction.
How Can I Beat Addiction?
Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step. You know that you need help and that you can’t beat it alone. With a licensed addiction counselor at Thriveworks in Littleton, CO, you can make the first steps to recovery through extensive therapy, both group and one-on-one. Everyone recovers from addiction differently. You may benefit most from 12-step programs or cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). You may need additional psychosocial support. You may need to recover from your addiction under the supervision of a medical doctor to protect yourself from the health risks of withdrawal. But a qualified, compassionate therapist, psychiatrist, counselor, or social worker is a great starting point in your path to success and enduring recovery. They can help guide you to all the resources you might need.
Talk to an Addiction Expert at Thriveworks in Littleton, CO
Therapy is only one way to beat addiction, but it’s one of the most effective ways. A trained addiction counselor is within easy reach of you today. All you need to do is call the Thriveworks office in Littleton, CO to get started. Our warm, unbiased counselors aren’t here to judge you and your struggle; they simply want to help you with all the expertise at their disposal. Thriveworks providers can often meet new clients online or in-person as early as the day after their initial booking. And they accept most major forms of health insurance plan. We look forward to helping you in your recovery!