Anxiety overwhelms the individual with racing thoughts, out-of-control worry, fear, and other harmful symptoms that are impossible to ignore. Some people experience these symptoms of anxiety in a range of scenarios, including at work, at the grocery store, even at home. Others people experience symptoms of anxiety in more specific situations, such as in social situations or post-trauma.
It’s important to note that it’s normal to experience worry and fear. However, when this worry and fear become excessive, this signifies that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. If you are experiencing anxiety, it’s important that you talk to a professional about your thoughts and feelings. They can help you assess the severity and take back control.
Did you know that there are therapists who specialize in treating anxiety? Anxiety therapists can assess your symptoms, offer coping strategies that are specific to your needs, and also help you reduce the occurrence of your anxiety.
Thriveworks Counseling in Jersey City, NJ has anxiety therapists and psychologists on staff. If you think you could benefit or find value in consulting an anxiety specialist, please call our office. Our providers offer both in-person and online help and they can meet with you as soon as today or tomorrow.
Which Anxiety Disorder Do I Have?
The different types of anxiety that we started to explain above can be categorized into different disorders. Again, there are people who experience anxiety in a wide range of scenarios as well as people who experience anxiety in more specific situations or as a result of a life event.
Below are some of the most common forms of anxiety:
- Generalized anxiety disorder: Generalized anxiety disorder is characterized by severe and recurrent anxiety that interferes with one’s day to day life. Symptoms include excessive worry, restlessness, and difficulty focusing.
- Social anxiety disorder: Social anxiety disorder is characterized by irrational anxiety triggered in social interactions. Symptoms include irrational anxiety and fear, often about what others may think of the individual.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD): OCD is characterized by excessive thoughts and repetitive behaviors. Often, individuals with OCD feel compelled to arrange objects in a certain manner, organize, and/or clean excessively.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): PTSD is characterized by anxiety caused by trauma. Symptoms include nightmares, flashbacks, depression, hypervigilance, and sleep disturbances.
If any of these struck a chord and you think you might be suffering with anxiety, don’t worry. Remember that there is help available to you. We understand that it can be scary to recognize that you might have an anxiety disorder, but we also know that anxiety therapists can help you.
How Does Anxiety Therapy Work?
The main goal of therapy is to help people manage their mental health issues and live better. Therapy for anxiety, then, helps people manage their anxiety and live better.
A common approach to therapy for anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which aims to help individuals understand, recognize, and change harmful thoughts.
Your anxiety therapist at Thriveworks in Jersey City, NJ will help you…
- Identify and correct those unhelpful thoughts
- Analyze any potential causes of your anxiety disorder
- Learn how to cope with your anxious thoughts
- Develop a self-care routine that improves your state of mind
If you are feeling anxious, please don’t hesitate to talk to a professional about it. The sooner you discuss your symptoms with a therapist or psychologist, the quicker you can heal and relieve these painful thoughts.
Scheduling Anxiety Counseling at Thriveworks in Jersey City
Thriveworks Counseling helps people just like you every day. We help people manage their anxiety, other mental illnesses like depression, problems in their most treasured relationships, stress, and more.
Our Thriveworks team is made up of skilled and compassionate mental health professionals who specialize in specific areas of mental health. On top of their skills and the personalized care that they can offer, Thriveworks offers other premium counseling benefits like:
- Online counseling options (telephone and video sessions)
- Flexible daytime and evening sessions throughout the week and on the weekends
- Free, exclusive mental health resources
- And so much more
If you’d like to receive the benefits above, schedule your anxiety therapy appointment at Thriveworks—when you’re ready, of course. We’ll be here.