Depression Counseling in Jersey City, NJ
“It’s so difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there, because it’s not sadness. I know sadness. Sadness is to cry and to feel. But it’s that cold absence of feeling—that really hollowed-out feeling.” J.K. Rowling encapsulated what depression is like in trying to explain what it feels like but struggling to do so.
In other words, it’s hard to explain the feelings that accompany depression to people who haven’t experienced depression themselves. On top of that, the symptoms of depression can vary from one person to the next.
If you feel depressed, one thing is true: A mental health professional can help. It might be hard to explain how you feel and what you’re experiencing, but there are professionals who specialize in depression. They can offer their help and support as you learn to manage your depressive thoughts and feelings.
Would you like to schedule a depression counseling appointment? Reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Jersey City, NJ today. We can set you up with a depression therapist right away.
Do I Have Depression?
This question isn’t cut and dry. Someone might think, “There’s no way I have depression,” when in reality they do. Someone else might think that they do indeed have depression when they don’t. It’s important to familiarize yourself with the symptoms of depression so that you know when to reach out for a professional’s help.
Reminder: Only a professional can make a sure depression diagnosis. However, the following symptoms are common and do signify the possibility of depression:
- Feelings of a deep despair
- Loss of interest in day to day activities
- Hopelessness and worthlessness
- Withdrawal from loved ones
- Sleep disturbances
- Changes in eating habits
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self-harm
Do you have any of these symptoms? First and foremost, if you do, it’s okay. Depression is a common mental health condition—many people around the world have it and manage it. Now, the next step is to talk to a counselor or psychologist about how you’re feeling. They can offer treatment and help you heal.
What Type of Depression Do I Have?
Despite what some people think, depression isn’t one lone illness. There are different types of depression, which include major and minor depression, bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder, and postpartum depression.
- Major and minor depression: These are two of the most common forms of depression. They are characterized by the symptoms above. The main difference between the two is that major depression is more severe and comes with more symptoms than minor depression.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder is another type of depression, and it’s characterized by two main states: a depressive and a manic state. Those with bipolar disorder flip back and forth between these two states.
- Seasonal affective disorder: Seasonal affective disorder, otherwise known as winter depression, typically sets in in the fall and continues throughout the winter.
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression is a form of depression that is experienced by new mothers. They can exhibit the symptoms we listed above as well as other symptoms that center around their baby and their motherhood.
If you are concerned that you have any of the above forms of depression or another form of depression, talk to a mental health professional. They can help you better understand your symptoms, which type of depression you may have, and most importantly, manage your depression.
How Can I Find Relief?
We keep saying if you are experiencing symptoms of depression or if you think that you may be depressed, reach out for help. Why? Because a mental health professional can truly help you heal. To outline a few functions of a depression counselor or psychologist, they can…
- Assess your symptoms
- Discuss root causes of your depression
- Offer specific coping strategies
- Design a treatment plan around your needs
- Provide support during this difficult time
In a nutshell, the depression therapists and psychologists at Thriveworks Counseling in Jersey City, NJ can offer personalized help. If you are struggling with depression symptoms, please reach out. Our team can help.
Schedule a Depression Counseling Appointment at Thriveworks in Jersey City
You can schedule a depression counseling appointment at Thriveworks in Jersey City, NJ and meet with a provider as soon as today or tomorrow. To kickstart this process, just call us. We have a scheduling team that helps our clients schedule their appointments quickly and efficiently.