Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the world today. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), over 300 million people worldwide suffer from the condition, which is characterized by a deep despair and loss of interest in day to day activities. Depression often comes with harmful symptoms in addition to this sadness, like insomnia and other sleep problems, feelings of worthlessness, fatigue, and suicidal thoughts. Depression, in a nutshell, can disrupt the life we know and love.
“I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” –Ned Vizzini
The quote above is an excerpt from Ned Vizzini’s book “It’s Kind of a Funny Story.” While the character who spoke these words is fictional, this story was inspired by the author’s own experience with depression. It illustrates just how difficult life can be with depression, as well as the importance of getting help when one feels this way.
If you are struggling with depression or you have started to develop symptoms of depression and you are in the Palm Beach or Delray Beach area, consider therapy for depression at Thriveworks Boca Raton. Depression is completely treatable, and therapy has proven to help individuals manage their depression. Here at Thriveworks Boca Raton in Palm Beach, FL we have therapists and psychologists who specialize in helping people just like you learn how to cope with their symptoms, explore a potential cause of their depression, and live happier. They want to help you heal, too. To schedule a depression therapy appointment at Thriveworks Boca Raton in Palm Beach, give us a call at (561) 285-3503. We are more than happy to help.
Am I Depressed? What Are the Symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of depression, it’s important that you set up an appointment with a medical professional. To do so, you must first understand and recognize these symptoms. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), you must present five or more of the following in the same two weeks to be diagnosed with depression:
- Depressed mood nearly every day, demonstrated by sadness, hopelessness, emptiness
- Loss or lack of interest in day to day activities
- Significant changes in weight or appetite
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Fatigue or a loss of energy
- Feeling worthless
- Diminished ability to think straight
- Suicidal thoughts or thoughts about death
Now that you know what depression entails, be sure to speak with a professional if you begin to exhibit any of these symptoms. The sooner you begin treatment, the better. A depression therapist or psychologist at Thriveworks Boca Raton in Palm Beach can help you manage your symptoms and improve overall wellbeing. Reach out today to begin.
Why Am I Depressed? Potential Causes
There is not one simple cause of depression. Instead, there are multiple factors involved. For example, the following can contribute to the development of depression:
- Your environment: Take a second to think: Does your environment support your health and wellbeing? One’s environment can lead to depression. For example, if you surround yourself with people who have unhealthy habits, you might suffer as a result.
- Genetics: It’s also possible that genetics play a role in depression. If your parents have suffered with depression, or your siblings, your risk of developing the condition is two or three times greater than the average person.
- Temperament: Additionally, it’s possible for an individual to feel depressed due to their negative affinity, or due to their inability to properly process negative emotions. In other words, if someone doesn’t know how to cope with anger, sadness, and other emotions, it might lead to their feeling depressed.
The above factors can contribute to depression, but it’s important to keep in mind that there isn’t always a clear cause or fair explanation. It’s also important to know that self-care goes a long way and to prioritize it every day. Self-care paired with depression therapy at Thriveworks Boca Raton in Palm Beach, FL can help you become a happier, healthier version of you again.
Work with a Depression Therapist, Psychologist at Thriveworks Boca Raton in Palm Beach
Are. you depressed? Are you looking for Palm Beach therapy? If so, please reach out to a medical professional. Consider working with a depression therapist or psychologist at Thriveworks Boca Raton near Delray Beach, as they have the skills, training, and experience to help you manage your depression symptoms and find your way back to a happier, healthier you.
Are you ready to schedule an appointment? Give Thriveworks Boca Raton in Palm Beach a call at (561) 285-3503. We have flexible options catered to accommodate busy schedules: we offer daytime appointments as well as evening and weekend appointments. Call us to schedule whenever you are ready.