Infidelity and Adultery Counseling in Baltimore, MD—Therapists and Counselors
Infidelity can occur in any marriage at any time, and often people are surprised how often it does occur. Indeed, studies have shown that more than 50 million men in the United States cheat on their partners on a regular basis, and that over 70 percent of men say that if they were certain that they could get away with it, then they would cheat if they could. That number is only a little less for women. It’s no wonder, therefore, that counseling for adultery has become a much needed service, even in Baltimore.
Where Does Infidelity Come From?
Infidelity tends to come from a breakdown in communications between a couple. Reasons for this breakdown can include:
- Emotional dissatisfaction with your partner
- A feeling that your partner no longer understands you
- Boredom and a sense of the “grass being greener” elsewhere.
Oftentimes these feelings are triggered by events in a relationship, such as a child coming into the world and the parents neglecting each other, or even later in life once children have left the household, leaving the couple alone together for the first time in years. Whatever the reason, infidelity can destroy trust forever, break up marriages and family units, leading to depression and an overall world of hurt.
How Can Counseling Help?
Counseling for infidelity or adultery can help in a number of ways. Couples who have been affected by infidelity can work together with a counselor to:
- Determine root causes for the infidelity. What happened to make this come about?
- Help the faithful partner find a way through the feelings of betrayal, anger and grief that they’re going through
- Help the unfaithful partner to re-engage emotionally with their spouse
- See if trust can be built up again. See if there is still common ground between the couple
- Help both people to find acceptance in the other again, if possible.
If your partnership or marriage has been affected by adultery, it’s important to know that there is help out there if and when you need it. Professional counseling for infidelity can allow you to determine the best course of action for you, your spouse, and your relationship. Please feel free to contact Thriveworks Baltimore Counseling for more information.