Most people feel panic over something at least once in their lives. But if it happens frequently and with extreme intensity, it is a distressing and frightening experience that can indicate a serious problem that requires attention and professional assistance, of which can be provided at Thriveworks Baltimore panic attack disorder therapy. If this is the case, you might be suffering from panic attacks or panic disorder, a condition that can hinder your everyday life.
However, panic attacks and panic disorder can be treated successfully and counseling for panic attacks and panic disorder therapy are confirmed to be very effective. Panic attacks can be defined as a surge of intense fear or intense discomfort that reaches a peak within 10 minutes at most, and during which time four or more of the following symptoms occur:
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or an accelerated heart rate
- Trembling or shaking
- Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Nausea or abdominal distress
- Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, or faint
- Chills or heat sensations
- Paresthesia (“tingling” sensation in legs, arms, feet, etc.)
- Derealization or depersonalization
- Fear of losing control, “going crazy” or dying
According to the DSM 5, panic disorder is characterized by:
- Recurrent unexpected panic attacks
- persistent concern or worry about additional panic attacks or their consequences
- significant maladaptive changes in behavior related to the attacks (e.g., behavior designed to avoid having panic attacks).
Panic attacks usually come without warning and without any apparent cause, which increases the distress felt by sufferers. After having repeated attacks, individuals suffering from panic disorder often develop a fear of having another attack, which can significantly influence their life. For example, the person may not want to leave the house (their “safety zone”) or starts avoiding certain environments and interactions.
Panic disorder therapy or counseling for panic attacks helps the sufferer to understand and learn to control and cope with panic attacks /panic disorder. Our qualified counselor or therapist in Baltimore can help you prepare yourself for situations that might trigger a panic attack.
If you have suffered from any of the symptoms mentioned, please contact our office in Baltimore to learn more or get in touch with one of our counselors or therapists.