Anorexia and Bulimia Counseling – Therapists and Counselors in Marietta, GA
Bulimia and anorexia are life threatening and even potentially fatal disorders that should be taken seriously.
Unfortunately, as figures from the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders suggest, as little as 10 percent of the estimated 30 million people in the US suffering from these disorders get the proper help. The rest are left to deal with it on their own, often employing the wrong treatment or methods to handle the disorders.
If you are in Marietta, GA and suffer these disorders whom can you turn to for help?
Reasons Why People Experience Anorexia and Bulimia
Why do people get anorexia and bulimia? The actual causes have been found to be more complex. These disorders are not just the products of low self-esteem and obsession with the body figure as previously thought.
- Genes can contribute to the risk factors. If someone or more than one member of your family suffers from these you are 12 times more likely to suffer from these disorders too. Genes can also influence how you behave toward food.
- Anorexia or bulimia risks can also be influenced by mental health issues. The obsession to eat more, or trying to avoid eating at all, is one symptom of depression. Although it should also be mentioned sufferers can have depressive symptoms not related at all to their eating disorders.
- Traumatic experiences involving physical, emotional, or sexual abuse can trigger eating disorders. Events that shook confidence, or caused guilt or shame can also be causes of these.
- Use of products like diet pills and weight loss pills can also lead to eating disorders.
- Environmental influences like peer pressure can also cause anorexia and bulimia.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- Depression and anxiety
- Fixation over the body image
- Eating too much then vomiting the food back out (purging)
- Deliberately avoiding meals or snacks
- Going on a restrictive diet that is meant to cut down on weight
- Obsessing over reaching or maintaining a certain weight
- Feeling of guilt or shame after eating
Challenges and How to Get Bulimia Therapy
Don’t underestimate them; eating disorders have a way of becoming even bigger problems later on.
Food is essential to the body, if your body doesn’t get the nutrients it needs your health will start to degrade, leaving you open to illnesses like scurvy and setting you up for even more serious diseases like hypertension, stroke, and cardiovascular disease. Purging can even outright kill you if you choke on your own vomit. Those with eating disorders also tend to enter a never-ending loop of guilt, shame, and depression with many seeing suicide as the only way out.
You don’t have to fight eating disorders alone. If you are in Marietta, GA there are people who can help you. The first step always seems the hardest, but after that you will find everything is easier with the proper help and guidance. Our counselors are ready with the professional support you need to cope and deal with your condition.