Have you recently lost a loved one or suffered from a different loss in your life? Have you thought, “Am I ever going to feel better?” or, “Am I ever going to be able to move on?” Grief is a natural response to loss, and we need to give ourselves time to heal. Here at Thriveworks Willow Grove we believe that no one needs to go through grief alone, so come talk to one of our counselors because we are here to help! What Are the Symptoms of Grief? Grief can come in many forms and can be triggered by the loss of a person, place, thing, or idea in our lives. Some people going through grief may experience symptoms such as:
- Sudden crying spells
- Preoccupation with this loss in our lives
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Increased anxiety about losing other people or things in our lives
- Difficulty concentrating or completing tasks at school or work
The 5 Stages of Grief and Loss
The 5 stages of grief were first introduced by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross in her book on Death and Dying. We are taught that people who are grieving do not always experience all of these stages and/or do not experience them with the same intensity or in the same order.
The 5 stages are:
- Denial and Isolation: This is where we are present with the shock of the loss. We may ask ourselves “Did this really happen?” or, “Is my loved one really gone?”
- Anger: In this stage we can experience anger at the world or anger at the loss.
- Bargaining: This is where we ask ourselves the “what ifs” and the “if onlys.” “What if we had done more?” “What if I had reached out that day?” “If only I could go back in time and change one thing.” This is where we are trying to make sense of the past and control the uncontrollable.
- Depression: This is when the loss is really settling in and we may find that we are keeping to ourselves more or experience crying spells or a deep sadness.
- Acceptance: When we reach acceptance it does not mean that we are ok with the loss we have suffered, we just finally know that we can heal and move forward with our lives.
At Thriveworks Willow Grove we work with people to find where they are “stuck” and help them move forward through their grief process. No one experiences grief the same exact way and even when people suffer the same loss they may navigate it differently. Even though there are times where we feel like we can never be okay again, here at Thriveworks Willow Grove we believe there is hope!
Schedule a Session at Thriveworks Willow Grove
If you want to get on the path to healing, get connected to a therapist at Thriveworks Willow Grove today. We all need support and our licensed grief counselors are here for you! Thriveworks Grief and Loss Counseling of Willow Grove offers both daytime and evening hours. There is no waiting list and we accept most major insurance plans and offer affordable rates. We are located in Montgomery County, so if you are looking for Grief Counseling in Willow Grove, Grief Counseling in Abington, Grief Counseling in Jenkintown or Grief Counseling in Huntingdon Valley, our office will be convenient for you! Call for an appointment today.