Gambling Addiction Counseling in Westminster, CO—Counselors and Therapists at Thriveworks
The family-favorite, eight-season hit Full House often covered heavy subject matters: such as gambling addiction. In one episode, the Tanners take a family vacation—and in the hotel they stay at, there’s a casino. At some point, sisters D.J. and Stephanie break off from the rest of the family and witness a big win at the slot machines. Excited, they search for their Uncle Joey to tell him about what they’ve just witnessed and to summon him over to the slot machines to try his luck. Joey shakes them off and advises them not to spend any time or effort on gambling. But, in trying to prove his point, Joey plays a round and wins $10 off the bat. Quickly, he too is entranced in the game.
“Addiction is an adaptation. It’s not you, it’s the cage you live in.” –Johann Hari
Some people can play a few innocent games of poker and move on with their lives. Similarly, some can play the slot machines once or twice and then leave the casino. But for others, it isn’t that simple. These individuals gamble constantly and at risk of harming their own health and wellbeing. They continue to gamble, even after they’ve suffered significantly at work or in their personal life. They keep on, even when their entire life is in shambles because of their gambling activity.
Does this sound anything like you? If you think you might have a gambling problem, it’s important you get help. Fortunately, Thriveworks Westminster offers help for this specific problem. Our counselors and therapists know the toll gambling addiction can take on you. They understand the symptoms that come with this illness, and they know how to help you manage them. To begin treatment, just give Thriveworks Westminster a call.
Do I Have a Gambling Problem? Am I Addicted?
As we touched on earlier, not everyone who gambles has a gambling problem or addiction. Those with a gambling addiction present specific symptoms, which include:
- Constantly thinking about gambling, whether it’s past, present, or future gambling activity.
- Experiencing difficult emotions like irritability or restlessness when attempting to stop gambling.
- Risking their professional and/or personal life, in addition to their financial health.
- Gambling even when they experience financial trouble.
- Attempting to win money back by gambling even more money.
- Lying about where, when, how often, and how much they’re gambling.
- Gambling to cope with anxiety or depression.
The above symptoms are also diagnostic criteria for a gambling disorder diagnosis, set forth by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). The DSM-5 says an individual must present four (or more) of these symptoms to be diagnosed; however, even a few of these symptoms can signify a problem, and it’s important you get help. If these symptoms are eerily familiar, or you think you might be nearing a gambling problem, reach out to Thriveworks Westminster. Our counselors and therapists want to help you change your problematic behaviors and assist you in leading a healthier, happier life.
Set Up a Gambling Addiction Counseling Session at Thriveworks Westminster
It’s often hard to admit that we need help—but doing so proves important, time and time again. If you’re experiencing any of the above symptoms of gambling addiction, consider working with one of our skilled providers at Thriveworks Westminster. All you have to do is give us a call at (303) 214-2106. You will be greeted by a scheduling specialist, who will work diligently to get you set up with the best provider for you and your unique situation. Here’s what you can expect when you call Thriveworks Westminster:
- Fast, easy scheduling: As we just mentioned, the scheduling specialist’s goal is to set you up with a provider who can best help you with your given problem. After they ask you a few questions about your therapy needs, they’ll identify a provider who has the skills and availability to help you heal as soon as possible.
- Flexible appointments: If you want to come in for a week-day, day-time appointment, that’s great. But if you can’t make these hours, that’s okay too! We offer flexible evening and weekend appointments because we know that for some people, those week-day, day-time appointments just aren’t realistic.
- Premium health care: The providers at Thriveworks Westminster are the best of the best mental health professionals. They’ve undergone training and they also possess extensive experience, which enables them to best help you.
Are you experiencing any symptoms of gambling addiction? Are you worried that you have a problem and need some professional help? Do you think you could benefit from working with a counselor or therapist at Thriveworks Westminster? If you answered yes to any (or all) of these questions, give us a call. We look forward to meeting you and helping you on this journey.