Depression and Anxiety Counseling – Therapists and Counselors in Westminster
Depression and anxiety disorders can manifest themselves with emotions and feelings such as sadness, worry, anxiety and nervousness. However, these feelings and emotions are often just a normal reaction to traumatic and stressful experiences people are subjected to. Development of depression and anxiety begins when these emotions occur at much higher intensities and persist for unusually long periods of time.
Not surprisingly, the two conditions are often diagnosed simultaneously in one individual. Whilst they are quite similar in some aspects, there are a number of differentiating symptoms – some of those symptoms include:
- Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, loss of confidence.
- Apathy, indifference, lack of energy.
- Anger, a higher likelihood to resort to violence.
- Changes in sleep and appetite, concentration difficulties, fatigue, more frequent aches and pains (e.g. headache, back pain, stomach problems) for no apparent reason.
- Extreme fear or worry in situations that don’t warrant the feeling.
- Restlessness, difficulties with concentration, irritability.
- Heart palpitations, insomnia, sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, upset stomach.
The Diagnosis of Depression And Anxiety Disorders
Considerable differences in the symptoms can occur from one patient to the next. Combined with the fact that there is not a simple blood test or physical examination that can be used to diagnose anxiety or depression, the diagnosis can prove challenging for a healthcare practitioner. A health professional will generally rely on the information collected whilst leading a conversation or completing questionnaires with the patient.
Counseling For Depression And Anxiety
Talk-based therapies, such as the counseling services provided by Thriveworks Westminster, can be very successful at treating a patient suffering from depression or anxiety. Not only do these types of therapy help to manage patients’ symptoms – they also equip them with a number of mental tools and coping methods that empower them to avoid future occurrences of the disorders. When combined with lifestyle and medical interventions such as exercise and anti-depressant medication, talk-based therapies can be of great value to those suffering from mental health problems.
Asking for help is the first step on your road to recovery, so please, give us a call and arrange your first session with one of our expert counselors.