Everyone has days where they just don’t feel like doing anything. They don’t have any motivation and they’d rather lounge than get up and tackle their to-do list. Similarly, everyone also has times where they feel anxious and unhappy. Maybe it’s before a big job interview or when you’re driving in a new area at night and you don’t want to miss your turn; maybe it’s after a horrible fight with your spouse. What’s not normal is when these feelings of anxiety are persistent and affect your day to day functioning. In these cases, you may be battling something more serious, like anxiety or depression.
Sometimes, life will kick you around, but sooner or later, you realize you’re not just a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.” – Brooke Davis
Battling depression and anxiety can make you feel like you’re in a never-ending game of tug of war. Anxiety pulling you in one direction and causing your depression to worsen. Then, depression pulling you in another direction, making your anxiety go through the roof. If you are battling either or both of these mental health conditions, there is help available. At Thriveworks Counseling in Red Bank, NJ, our anxiety and depression therapists have the knowledge and expertise to not only help you cope with your symptoms but better manage and maybe even overcome your illnesses. To get started, just give us a call and one of our scheduling specialists will get you set up.
Do I Have Depression or Anxiety? Or Both…?
There are many different variations to depression and anxiety, but the symptoms are generally the same. The reasons people develop these conditions vary from person to person and sometimes it can be hard to tell. By working with a trusted therapist, you can get an accurate diagnosis and a treatment plan that will help you tackle the feelings you are having.
Some different types of depression that can manifest in someone’s life include…
- Major Depressive Disorder: This is the most common, or most well-known, form of depression. Symptoms include hypersomnia, insomnia, hopelessness, emptiness, despair, lack of interest in activities that once brought them joy, fatigue, and more. To be diagnosed with this disorder, symptoms must present for at least two weeks.
- Minor Depression: Symptoms of Minor Depression are similar to Major Depressive Disorder, but the severity and longevity are not as extreme.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder: This form of Major Depressive disorder recurs frequently and for long periods of time. To be diagnosed with this, your symptoms must be present for at least two years.
- Bipolar Disorder: This disorder can cause extreme mood swings between depression and mania. Manic symptoms would include risky behavior, bursts of energy, and feelings of euphoria.
There are also different forms of anxiety. Symptoms of anxiety include excessive worry, restlessness, shortness of breath, excessive sweating, fatigue, changes in sleeping patterns, and more. Different types of anxiety are…
- Social Anxiety Disorder: Social situations provoke this type of anxiety. Someone may feel anxious speaking during a meeting, attending a social event, or even ordering food at a restaurant.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Also known as PTSD, this form of anxiety is brought on due to a traumatic event that happened in someone’s past. This can include being deployed to a warzone, sexual assault, neglect, emotional abuse, and more.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The most common form of anxiety, this can be caused by numerous stressors. It can be anything from balancing work and your personal life, going to the store, driving down certain roads, or visiting a friend at their new home.
Your Thriveworks therapist will work with you to not only diagnose the condition that you are battling but provide you with a custom plan of action to tackle and overcome the stressors holding you back. You deserve to live a life full of happiness. It’s possible by working with a therapist here at Thriveworks in Red Bank, NJ.
Work with an Anxiety or Depression Therapist at Thriveworks in Red Bank, NJ
Battling a mental illness can feel extremely isolating. Here at Thriveworks Counseling in Red Bank, NJ, our therapists dedicate themselves to providing you with the guidance and support you need to get through it. If you think you’re dealing with anxiety and depression and you’re ready to start making meaningful progress, reach out to us today. All you have to do is give us a call. You can start as soon as tomorrow. We look forward to hearing from you!