Anger is a natural human emotion. It drives us to do better, warns us of dangerous situations, and helps us distinguish right from wrong. In of itself, anger is not a bad thing. In fact, it is natural. However, if we don’t learn how to healthily manage anger, it can quickly become the thing controlling us, instead of us controlling it. Unmanaged anger can steer us down paths we don’t want to go and disrupt the peace and safety of our life and the lives of our loved ones.
The anger management counselors at Thriveworks in Red Bank, NJ understand the many layers of anger. It’s never a simple lack of self-control that leads anger into rage, but a mix of factors ranging from emotional to situational. It can be overwhelming to confront anger head-on, but that’s what a Red Bank counselor is here for. We will be with you every step of the way.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment today, call us at 732-606-4469.
When Might My Anger Be Out of Control?
The only person who can answer that question is you. Is anger disrupting your life? Straining your relationships? Keeping you from achieving your goals? Are you unhappy or dissatisfied with your life? Is your physical health taking a toll for the worse?
These are just a few of the questions that could go into your decision to reach out a counselor. Whatever you decide, Red Bank counselors want to make one thing abundantly clear: anger never makes you a “bad” or “weak” person. Those are just some of the harmful stereotypes out there that perpetrate the idea that trouble managing your anger is a personal flaw. It’s not.
Some people struggle with anxiety, which is a natural human experience taken to a pathological level. Anger is like that- a natural experience taken out of its practical situations and into potentially harmful situations with unnecessary force.
Red Bank anger management counseling will always keep the focus on you. However, your anger is affecting your life, we want to meet you where you’re at. It won’t be an overnight process, but with the right guidance and support, you can live a life free from the shackling impulse of anger.
Anger management counseling might be right for you if you are experiencing:
- Relationship issues
- Difficulties coming to an agreement or compromise
- Self-harm, a common symptom of internal anger
- Difficulty working with other people
- Frequent clashes at work (of any manner)
- Problems expressing emotions in healthy ways
- Feeling unheard or unable to express desires; unsatisfied
- Frequent aggressive swearing, yelling, or violent actions
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, or changes in weight and eating are common symptoms of an anger management problem
This list only touches the surface of the negative impacts anger can have on your life. Remember, only you can take this first step. It’s worth considering where you want to be in life and where you are now. If there’s a gap between those two ideas, it’s worth reaching out.
How Does Anger Management Therapy Work?
This question largely depends on your desires needs, and goals. Every session will look different because every person is different. However, there are some tried-and-true techniques that the anger management counselors in Red Bank can use to help you along your way.
An anger management session will most likely answer these questions:
- What triggers my anger?
- What are the physical or internal signs my anger is getting out of control?
- What coping mechanisms work for me?
- How can I hold myself accountable (or who can help me do so)?
- What steps can I take after getting angry to return to a healthy state of mind?
- Are there any deep-rooted behaviors, thought patterns, or events that are causing my anger?
In the moment, anger can feel all-consuming. In the aftermath, it can be exhausting and even produce feelings of guilt. While it may feel like anger is helping you break free, it is simply locking you in a different cage. There is a way out. To get started redefining your life outside of the constraints of anger, give Thriveworks Counseling in Red Bank, NJ a call at 732-606-4469.