Eric Taylor looked up at his football team, “Listen to me. I said you need to strive to be better than everyone else. I didn’t say you needed to be better than everyone else. But you gotta try. That’s what character is. It’s in the trying.” Eric Taylor is one of TV’s most iconic coaches and inspirational leaders. He focuses his player’s attention on what’s important. He inspires them to achieve more than anything they ever thought possible. In the locker room, after a hard-fought game, he looks them in the eye and tells them, “I am in awe in each and every one of you gentlemen.”
What would it be like if someone like Coach Taylor was in your life, inspiring, pushing, encouraging, and supporting? Coaches are not just for sports teams. There are relational coaches, professional coaches, executive coaches, and more—professionals who people find their strengths, overcome their weaknesses, set goals, and achieve more than they ever thought possible. This is what life coaches do. Why might someone want to work with a life coach? There are a myriad of reasons, but take a moment to consider just two of them.
- People want more out of life. Many ambitious and driven people want it all—the burgeoning career, the exciting hobbies, the big family, and the list could go on and on. Living an active, adventurous life is possible but often harder than people imagine. Life coaches can work with people to manage stress, prioritize their time, and focus their attention upon what really matters.
- Life has thrown an unforeseen or challenging situation into people’s lives. Cancer. Divorce. Lay-off. No one wants to hear these words. Life can change in an instant, and present challenges that people never anticipated. How do you date as a single dad? What does it look like to optimize your chances of landing that next job? Where can you find a support network to carry you through chemo?
If you are considering working with a life coach, know that Thriveworks Counseling in Quincy life coaching is ready to work with you. Our life coaches are also licensed, professional counselors, and we are ready to inspire, encourage, and achieve.
Self-Awareness: A Key to Success in Life Coaching
One obstacle to achievement is lack of vision. When the destination is not clear, how can people ever arrive? So many distractions demand people’s attention—factors that may or may not help them down the road toward what they really want. When people know their destination, they can say, “no,” to detours and take meaningful steps forward. Increasing one’s self-awareness can combat life’s distractions and help people stay focused on what they want from life.
Life’s goals and destinations should be founded upon people’s values, priorities, weaknesses, and strengths. Often, life operates more efficiently when this is so. There are a number of ways that life coaches can help people increase their self-awareness and understanding of these values, priorities, weaknesses, and strengths. One of the most effective is the “Miracle Question.” The basic task of the miracle question is to imagine what could be. Suspend reality for a moment and wonder, what would happen if a miracle occurred and your life were exactly how you wanted it to be? What would be different? The miracle question can come in a variety of forms. For example,
- If you could pursue any educational opportunity, what would it be (if time and finances were not factors)?
- Where would you want to live if you could reside anywhere in the world? Why?
- What is your dream vacation? How long would it be? Where would you go? Who would go with you?
- What is your ideal relationship? What type of romantic relationships would your purse? Friendships? Family dynamics?
Think right now about how you would answer these. Daily life can stifle dreaming, imagining, and hope, but these are important. They show people what they value, where their priorities are. Life coaches can also lead their clients through exercises to show them their strengths and weaknesses so that they can map out a path toward their goals.
The Importance of Setting Goals
It takes a lot of effort to set well-formed goals that ring true to people’s priorities and values. Is it worth the effort? Yes, absolutely, significant research has shown that people who set regular goals are also higher achievers. A few reasons for this dynamic may be because goals…
- Inspire meaningful actions.
- Focus people’s attention.
- Keep focus and actions in alignment.
- Sustain motivation during setbacks.
- Incite self-control.
Setting Up an Appointment for Life Coaching with Thriveworks Counseling in Quincy
Not all life coaches are the same. There are no industry regulations upon who can call themselves a life coach, whether they have the training and experiencing to be helpful or not. The life coaches at Thriveworks in Quincy, MA however, are all licensed and trained in counseling as well.
Are ready for support and guidance in your journey? You do not have to work toward your life goals alone. Let’s work together. We have appointments available for life coaching. When you contact our office, you may be meeting with your coach the following day. Weekend and evening appointments are available, but we do not keep a waitlist. We hope our clients receive the coaching they need, when they need it. We also accept many insurance plans. Call our office today.