Psychological Testing in Fort Lauderdale, FL—Testing and Assessments
When you think about taking care of your health, what comes to mind? Maybe going to your doctor once a year for a physical or eating healthier foods and getting regular exercise. But does your mental health come up as a top priority? If it doesn’t, here’s why it should – your mental health directly affects the quality of life you live. If you’re struggling with staying focused at school or work, you could have ADHD. If you have a hard time controlling your anger, you may benefit from anger management. You feel lost and have a low self-esteem? Maybe you need some coaching on where to go next. Psychological tests and evaluations can help you understand underlying problems you may be going through and can provide you with guidance on where to go next. Just as you would call your family doctor if you were feeling off, you can reach out for help if you’re feeling mentally off.
Set peace of mind as your highest goal and organize your life around it.” – Brian Tracy
There are many different tests, assessments, and evaluations that can provide you with insightful information about your behavior. The information gathered by tests can help counselors, therapists, and psychologists come up with an accurate diagnosis and unique plan of treatment to tackle whatever concerns you may be facing.
Whether you or a child is struggling at school or work, are having problems communicating your feelings, or just want to know more about your strengths and weaknesses, you’re in the right place. Thriveworks Fort Lauderdale counseling offers a wide variety of psychological testing options to our clients. If you have any questions or would like to get started, reach out to our office today. We’d love to work with you.
When to Seek Out Psychological Testing?
As we briefly mentioned before, psychological testing can be used for a wide variety of reasons. “Many people can benefit from psychological testing,” says Sean Hayes PsyD of Thriveworks Counseling in Sterling, VA. “Sometimes, a client is having problems with mood or daily functioning but isn’t sure they’re having those problems and, more importantly, what to do about the problems. Psychotherapy can help with that, but sometimes it becomes difficult to narrow down exactly what the client is struggling with. This is one place where testing comes in handy, as it helps both the client and the therapist find how to proceed in treatment.”
Here at Thriveworks Fort Lauderdale, we provide a comprehensive range of assessments for:
- Intellectual disabilities
- Trouble remembering
- Personality disorders
- Behavioral disorders
- Thought disorders
- And more!
If you’re having problems working with other people, controlling your anger, or have a hard time coping with your emotions, psychological testing could prove to be very beneficial to you. The underlying reason for your problems isn’t always clear. While sometimes it’s easy to recognize the signs and symptoms of a mental illness, other times it can be difficult. These tests and assessments allow your psychologist to better understand where your problem is originating from and what the best way to treat it is. They’ll be able to create a custom plan of action that is based on your needs and results so they can help you get better quicker.
What Are the Different Types of Psych Testing?
As there are many different reasons to pursue testing, there are many different tests available. Depending on your concerns, you could be administered one or more tests that measure functioning in different areas. Some different types of psychological tests include:
- Intellectual Functioning: These assess your cognitive functioning and intellectual abilities. Verbal reasoning, fluid reasoning, processing speed, and short-term memory will all be focused on. Different types of intellectual functioning assessments include the Differential Abilities Scale, the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test, the Wechsler Intelligence Scale, and the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale.
- Adaptive Behavior: This includes the assessment of your independent skills in order to live a normal daily life. Tests include the Adaptive Behavior Inventory, the Normative Adaptive Behavior Checklist, and the Camelot Behavioral Checklist.
- Personality Tests and Attitude Assessments: These will help you measure how well you will perform at work or school based on your interpersonal skills. It can also help you identify your traits to help you better strengthen your interpersonal bonds. Although predominately for children, there are adult-specific assessments as well. Some assessments and tests would include the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale, and the Thematic Appreciation Test.
- Psychological Processes: This determines how you change your behaviors, emotions, or thoughts from tasks to tasks. Previous experiences can change your behavior and/or learning abilities. Some psychological processes include the Lindamood Auditory Conceptualization Test, the Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Cognitive Abilities, and the Wechsler Memory Scale.
Which test, or tests, you end up taking will be thoroughly discussed between you and your counselor beforehand. Most tests involve things like questions, imagery, sounds, and writing. The psychologists, therapists, and counselors at Thriveworks Fort Lauderdale are dedicated to providing you or your child with well-rounded, accurate assessments. They have the training and knowledge to evaluate, analyze, and come up with a treatment plan to move forward. They’ll also be able to provide. You with coping strategies, stress management techniques, and many different tools to move forward.
Schedule a Psychological Test at Thriveworks Fort Lauderdale, FL Today
Evaluations and assessments can prove to be very valuable for many different reasons. Whether you have a specific concern you’d like to look into further or are just curious about your functioning abilities, consider working with a trusted psychologist at Thriveworks Fort Lauderdale Counseling. To get started, you can give us a call at (754) 400-5514 and one of our scheduling specialists will assist you.
We look forward to helping you find answers and starting this mental health journey together.