Rebecca is having trouble “letting it go”. A traumatic experience in her recent past continues to haunt her—to the point where she finds herself waking up at night, sweating, shaking, and afraid.
Although she’s sought refuge with her friends and family who are always there to listen, she knows that they’re not professionals; and they aren’t entirely sure how to help her heal and move forward with her life. But after having done some research, Rebecca feels confident that trauma therapy, for what she thinks might be undiagnosed PTSD, could help.
If you find yourself resonating with Rebecca’s struggle, then it’s possible that you’re looking for help and answers as you recover from a traumatic experience. At Thriveworks Conway, AR, we offer comprehensive trauma therapy and PTSD treatment. Our providers know how to combat the shock, fatigue and emotional numbness that may follow after someone is exposed to trauma.
Do I Need Trauma Therapy?
As is the case with most adult clients, it’s most likely your decision to seek counseling services for the effects of trauma. But often, trauma therapy offers significant improvements from the many symptoms of trauma and PTSD, including:
- Flashbacks of the traumatic event(s)
- Anger, defensive behavior, and hostility toward others as a self-defense mechanism
- Poor mood
- Low energy
- An overwhelming sense of shame
- Obsessing over how the event or situation could have been avoided
- And many other unique, personal symptoms
One of the questions to ask yourself is, “Could I benefit from talking to someone about this—someone who won’t judge me, is trained to treat these problems, and has the patience to work with me?” And if the answer is yes, then trauma therapy could be a positive step forward, offering you benefits and lasting relief as you begin to recover.
How Does Trauma Therapy Work?
Trauma therapy actually refers to a somewhat eclectic group of therapeutic interventions that help to reduce the negative effects of trauma and PTSD. Some of these treatment methods include:
- Trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TF-CBT) works to spot, correct, and eventually eliminate harmful thought patterns that include shame, guilt, or anger, while still acknowledging the validity of the trauma survivor’s emotions.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) assists clients by helping them to fully work through their traumatic experience(s), which may be worsening the client’s mental health by remaining partially processed. This therapy involves eye movement exercises and open dialogue between the counselor and client during the healing process.
- Exposure therapy, as the name suggests, gradually exposes the client to situations, conversations, or other “triggers”. The goal is that over time, the exposure help reduce the negative association the client has attached to them in their mind.
- Narrative therapy is a highly motivating form of talk therapy. This approach involves individual counseling sessions, in which the therapist gives the client “the floor”—listening to their past journeys and traumas. They then help the client re-tell the narrative from an uplifting and encouraging perspective, one that highlights the client’s resilience, intelligence, and strength.
These are only a few of the many different therapeutic approaches that might be used during your trauma therapy or PTSD sessions. Your provider will be more than happy to discuss treatment options and what methods you might prefer in your first session.
Is There PTSD Counseling in Conway, AR?
There is—at Thriveworks Conway, AR, we offer comprehensive trauma therapy services from providers who understand how trauma and PTSD affect the mind and body. Our providers also offer flexible appointment types, meaning you can head to the office for a traditional session, or attend from the comfort of your own home with convenient online counseling options.
Schedule Trauma Therapy with Thriveworks Conway, AR
If you’re ready to start moving forward, and are feeling ready to partner with one of our trauma therapy counselors in Conway, AR, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. You can book online, or simply give us a call to be assisted by a friendly human voice.
And when you become a Thriveworks client, you get access to perks that include:
- In-network coverage with most insurance providers
- Mental health help when and where you need it
- Instant scheduling for both in-person and online sessions
- The ability to schedule online or by phone
- Personalized mental health care for your unique needs
Even though the past may still be on your mind, there’s no time like the present. And trauma therapy services at Thriveworks Conway, AR can help. We look forward to pairing you with a trauma professional—someone who’s on your side.