Families in Allentown, PA—Therapy and Counseling
The family unit is a living, breathing system. That is, each person is interwoven with every other person. What affects one member, affects all to one degree or another—for better or worse. When families are in balance, each individual’s needs, talents, and perspectives are respected. Each receives, and each contributes. But it is common knowledge that families are often knocked off balance.
When one person succeeds, the whole family experiences the benefit. However, the opposite is also true: when one struggles, the family as a whole may experience turmoil. Are any of these challenges affecting your family?
- Is one person’s frustration, anger, or anxiety affecting other members of the family?
- Is your family cycling through harmful patterns of behavior, over, and over again?
- Has poor communication or no communication led to distance and hurt feelings?
- Is parenting more of a challenge than you anticipated?
- Are family members cold and distant toward one another?
If you can relate to any of these situations, know that families that are knocked off balance can regain equilibrium. Sometimes, the path forward means seeking an outside perspective. For many families, therapy has given them the guidance and support they need to get back on track.
Thriveworks Allentown offers family therapy because every family needs help from time to time. Our therapists love equipping families with the tools they need to come together and re-establish balance.
The Benefits of Family Therapy
Family therapy rests upon the idea that individuals must be understood within the context of their families. That is, a family’s expectations, coping mechanisms, ethics, and more have great influence in a person’s life. Whether a person intentionally follows the pattern established in their family of origin or whether a person reacts against that pattern, families shape people’s behaviors, identities, and values.
Because the family is a system, when the family as a whole receives help, it benefits each individual member. The two most well-known techniques in family therapy are family systems therapy and family structural therapy. These techniques may explore how individual members can come to understand each other. Therapists may examine love language, birth order, and/or personality types and how these contribute to the family’s dynamic. Families can learn how to communicate well, rely upon each other, and respect each other’s differences.
There are many potential benefits to strengthening your family including but not limited to…
- Increased coping skills to handle hardship and stress
- Smaller risk of poverty as the family shares expenses and income potential
- More secure attachment among family members and the possibility of children learning healthy relational skills
- Reduced risk of abuse and neglect
- Fewer cases of depression and anxiety-related conditions
Why Start Family Therapy?
What is happening in your family right now? Take a moment to consider whether more than one person is affected. Take a moment to consider whether more than one person will need to adjust in order for the family to move forward. If so, family therapy may be a good option.
Specifically, here are a few examples of why clients are started family therapy at Thriveworks Allentown:
- Tension/hostility among individual family members
- An overbearing parenting style that has resulted in rebellious children
- Permissive parenting style that has resulted in uncontrollable children
- Particular hard times, such as losing a job, home, or family member
- Hormonal fluctuations with a parent or teen that may be contributing to conflict
- A special-needs family member with unequally distributed care
- Inadequate premarital counseling and/or marriage maintenance therapy
- Intimacy problems within the marriage relationship
- Family member(s) with unmet needs
- Neglect, addiction, and/or abuse in the family
There is no magic formula for family peace and harmony. Nothing on this list has a quick-fix, but when family members want to improve their relationships, there is help, support, and guidance.
Help for Families at Thriveworks Allentown, PA
Is your family facing a challenge? Are you ready to tackle it together? Thriveworks Allentown is ready to give your family the support and guidance it needs. We want our clients to receive the first-rate care they deserve.
When you schedule an appointment at Thriveworks Allentown, a person will answer the phone and help you. Do you need an evening or weekend appointment? We have those available. We also work with many insurance companies. Are you ready to get started? So are we—many of our clients see their counselor within 24 hours of their call.
Thriveworks Allentown has appointments available for family therapy. Call today to get started.