When you’ve served in the military, you’ve given this country an enormous gift. Thriveworks Woodstock thanks you for your sacrifice, perseverance, and bravery.
As much as you have given for your country, being in the military doesn’t always repay you with kindness. Veterans have some of the highest rates of PTSD, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. The high stress and intense atmosphere soldiers are under can give way to mental health problems that seem like they’ll last a lifetime.
But Thriveworks Woodstock counseling for veterans is here so that they don’t last a lifetime. You’ve given so much to your country and the citizens in it, allow us to give some back.
What Is Counseling for Veterans?
60% of US veterans who have a mental health concern aren’t receiving the professional help they need. There are many valid reasons for this, but none so powerful that they should stop you from healing past your pain and into a place where you can grow.
Thriveworks Woodstock understands the barriers preventing veterans from seeking help are strong and convincing. It’s hard to move past the fear of judgement as being seen as “weak” by the military community, or the self-preservation instinct to not face trauma. Many symptoms of PTSD, anxiety, and even depression are your brain trying to save itself from further harm. There’s no denying that it is painful to work past these barriers, but Thriveworks Woodstock counselors are here to share the load and provide any support you need and want.
Many people find themselves not pursuing professional mental health help because they think they “aren’t that bad”, “other people have it worse”, or “my friends and family are all I need.”
On their own, these aren’t necessarily bad thoughts. But they don’t encapsulate the full scope of mental health concerns and how it can impact your life. You deserve to live the healthiest, happiest life you can, and depression, anxiety, substance abuse, PTSD, and any other concern are getting in your way of doing so. You don’t deserve to suffer. You deserve to be free from the claws of your past for good.
So, what is counseling for veterans? It’s whatever you need it to be. Specifically, Thriveworks Woodstock has seen veterans for concerns such as:
- Substance abuse
- PTSD or trauma
- Military Sexual Trauma
- Challenges adjusting back home
- Guilt or self-hatred
- Loss of purpose or trouble moving forward
- Counseling for family of veterans- how to support your loved one while taking care of your own emotional, physical, and mental health
These are just a few examples of what could happen in a counseling for veterans session with Thriveworks Woodstock. We are here for you wherever you are and for whatever you need. If you are not where you want to be in life, it’s worth seeing a professional counselor to help you get there.
What Happens in a Counseling for Veterans Session?
A common feeling for veterans is that no one understands and therefore, no one can fill the need they have.
In part, you’re right. No one can ever fully comprehend what you’ve gone through or are still fighting with. But our counselors can provide an empathetic, nonjudgmental space for us to work through it together. We meet you where you’re at, and always keep the focus on you, so that you can get the healing you need.
No one can fully understand all that you scarified, but Thriveworks Woodstock thanks you from the bottom of our hearts for doing so. We are here for you when you are ready.
The actual counseling session will vary depending on you, your situation, and how you want to grow. We adapt our methods to your preferences. Our professional counselors have many tools we can use to help you heal and grow. A few of them are:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (identifying a negative thought and replacing it with positive ones)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT- learning to accept current emotional and behavioral stat without judgment and then committing to change it using mindfulness techniques)
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT- addressing social isolation and any grief or anxiety that can stem from it. Uses relationships of loved ones around you)
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy (a method to treat anxiety fixated on a certain event)
- Talk therapy (providing a nonjudgmental, empathetic source of support and encouragement as we work through and process the emotional and mental blocks)
- Medication (sometimes, it is helpful to take anti-anxiety or anti-depression medication. Our counselors can help determine if this is the right path for you.)
These are just a few of the methods and techniques Thriveworks Woodstock uses. As always, we are adaptable to you.
At times it can feel like the challenges you are facing are insurmountable. But you have already proven over and over again, beyond measure, that you are brave enough and strong enough to take whatever this life throws at you. Thriveworks Woodstock is just here to make that process easier and faster.
If you are a veteran facing the repercussions of a stressful time in service, Thriveworks Woodstock is here for you. Thank you for your service and all you’ve sacrificed.