Divorce Counseling in Woodstock, GA—Counselors and Therapists
Endings can be painful, even when they’re necessary. They are the closing of one chapter in your life, but also the start of a new one. That doesn’t make a divorce any less difficult though. Regardless of how tumultuous the decision to go through with it was, or what came before, a divorce is one of those endings that will bring with it a storm of emotions and logistical problems.
With so many decisions to be made, it’s easy to put off your own mental and emotional health when dealing with a divorce. Thriveworks Divorce Counseling at Woodstock is here so you can take a step back, a deep breath, and walk beside a supportive, steady, professional counselor until the storm calms.
What Is Divorce Counseling?
No two divorces are the same, and neither will two sessions at Thriveworks Divorce Counseling in Woodstock. We believe in a client-centered practice where what we do and talk about is contingent upon your goals and lifestyle. Of course, we can help you articulate what your doubts and goals are.
There does tend to be three rough stages of divorce counseling. Some people come in with stages already complete, some skip around, and some really need the professional support with one or two issues. All are great, and our divorce counselors in Woodstock are excited to meet you where you’re at.
- Personal and Emotional– With so much going on in a divorce, it can be easy to push your mental health to the back burner. The truth is that depression, anxiety, insomnia, grief and other concerns are a huge barrier to a healthy divorce. They’re normal reactions to a divorce, but it can still be helpful to work things out with a professional divorce counselor. Thriveworks Woodstock understands every day will be different when going through a divorce. We will be right beside you through all of the confusing, painful emotions and questions.
- Logistical Issues– After a divorce, everything is new. You’ll be working off of a different budget, maybe living somewhere new. It can help to talk with a divorce counselor when juggling all the new logistical issues.
- Lifestyle Changes– Many people underestimate how difficult shifting their lifestyle will be. After a divorce, you might find yourselves with a different friend group, different schedule, and different responsibilities. It’s a shift that can take a while, and that’s ok! Having a professional, supportive counselor to lean on during these times can strengthen your sense of sureness and security. You’re taking steps to live your happiest life, and Thriveworks Woodstock Divorce counselors want to help you with that!
Is Divorce Counseling Right for Me?
Deciding you want to see a divorce counselor can be a hard decision. Maybe you know someone who went through a divorce without seeing a professional counselor. Does that make you weak for wanting one? Absolutely not! Everyone’s life before and during a divorce are different. Your experience isn’t comparable with theirs. You deserve the best possible mental and physical health. For many people, a way of attaining that is by seeing a counselor.
To help make that decision, our divorce counselors recommend looking for any major, negative shifts in your life now compared to your life before the divorce. Try to do it non-judgmentally. A major change is occurring in your life, so take a deep breath, give yourself some grace, and take one tiny step forward.
Are there any areas in your life that you feel have been significantly impaired right before, during, or after the divorce? Some examples include:
- Feeling like you can’t handle the pressure, stress, or high emotions
- Difficulty finding joy in activities you used to love
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Unusually high levels of anger, depression, or anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Isolation from friends and family
- Unusual eating habits (loss of appetite or uncontrollable eating)
- Difficulty performing basic tasks
A divorce will always bring about change, but it doesn’t have to be negative. Thriveworks Woodstock is here for you no matter what changes are occurring in your life.
Does Thriveworks Woodstock Offer Divorce Counseling for Kids?
Yes! As a parent, your child’s wellbeing is probably your primary concern. We understand, and we offer counseling for children going through a divorce as well. Many negative stereotypes perpetrate divorce when it comes to children. But research has shown again and again that two good homes are better than one bad home. Divorce will probably be hard on your child, but it doesn’t have to hold them back from living a great, fulfilling life.
Thriveworks Woodstock Divorce counseling for kids is a nonjudgmental space for children and adolescents to come and process through their emotions and doubts. They may be feeling hurt, abandonment, or guilt. None of this is your fault! The parent-child relationship is important for our divorce counselors, and we will work on strengthening it in any way we can. With all that goes on in a divorce, your child could benefit greatly from having an extra support system. Your relationship with them doesn’t have to suffer.
Does Thriveworks Woodstock Offer Counseling for Co-Parenting?
After a divorce, you have to learn many new skills. Co-parenting might be one of them. It can be difficult but is definitely possible. It’s also very rewarding. Thriveworks Woodstock Divorce counselors can also mentor and support both of you as you learn this new parenting style. With relationships already being strained, it’s a difficult practice to learn. We understand, and are here to answer questions, support you, and address any concerns as they come.
You still have a huge impact in your child’s life, and co-parenting is just as important as regular parenting. It’s going to take some time, and quite a few mistakes, but the reward is worth it.
Nothing will stop a divorce from being hard and painful. But they don’t have to stop your life or negatively impact your mental health. With a little extra support and guidance form a Thriveworks Woodstock Divorce Counselor, both you and your family can thrive.