Loneliness and Social Isolation Counseling in Silver Spring, MD–Counselors and Therapists
Do you feel lonely? Are you socially isolated? Are you tired of the emptiness, dissatisfaction, and sad feelings that come along with feeling lonely and being isolated? In today’s society everyone is connected through social media. But for some people, social media has the opposite effect – they feel as if they are staying connected with others when in reality, they are still feeling the disconnect. Though it can seem hopeless and it’s normal to feel that there’s simply no way to change your situation, the truth is that these tips really can help.
- Reach out to another lonely person: You likely know better than anyone that being lonely can lead to more isolation and loneliness. Many people are put off by a person who’s obviously lonely, as though it’s a contagious condition. The cure for you may be as simple as befriending another lonely person. This can not only help them, but it can help you too. Consider volunteering for a group that works with seniors or visit with a neighbor or friend who’s lost a spouse or child.
- Skip your “social” networks: Social media is helpful and fun in a lot of ways. However, most people do better if they have significant face-to-face relationships in their life – not just relationships via the screen. The next time a friend or family makes a post on social media that you feel is worthy of a response, give them a call instead of leaving a comment. They’ll likely be thrilled to hear from you, and it can help you feel less lonely and isolated.
- Make time for the people that matter to you: It’s true that everyone is busy these days – or at least that’s the way it seems. Many people are lonely or isolated because they’re focusing so hard on their careers, raising their families, etc. When you’re in this situation it can feel impossible to find time for anyone else. But it’s not. Just think of your social life the same way you’d think of any work project: you simply have to find time for it.
Do none of these tips apply to your life? Or do you need help putting them into practice? Connect with Thriveworks Silver Spring, MD Counseling & Coaching and let us come up with a customized plan for you to let go of your loneliness and find solutions to your social isolation.
Seeking Out Loneliness Counseling
Being lonely is more than just an inconvenience. It can result in depression, suicidal thoughts, changes in appetite, insomnia, and sleeping too much. Fortunately, there is help, and a counselor can help patients dealing with these challenging emotions.
At Thriveworks Silver Spring, you can expect your treatment plan to be personalized based on your needs. Your counselor will assess you and your unique needs to find the right way to handle your path toward healing. A clinician at Thriveworks can help you in a number or ways, a couple of which can include:
- Helping you let go of inaccurate beliefs. When a person feels Longley, their outlook on the world can be distorted. These feels can be hard to get rid of and can make it impossible for a person to move through the other feelings of loneliness.
- Direct support may be required. Some people know and understand the root of their loneliness – they have lost a spouse, a child’s parents may have just divorced, or they have recently moved to a place where they don’t know anyone. In these cases, specific steps can and will be taken to deal with these issues.
A clinician at Thriveworks Silver Spring can provide the compassionate and experienced support you need to move forward.
Counseling for Loneliness and Social Isolation at Thriveworks Silver Spring
If you feel lost and need support, call Thriveworks Silver Spring today. We want to help you build a strong support network and conquer loneliness. You can thrive, and our clinicians have the tools you’ll need to tackle all of the challenges you’ve been facing.
Our clinicians would be happy to help you eliminate the harsh feelings loneliness can bring. Call our office today to schedule your first appointment. (202) 478-9619.