Emotional Abuse Counseling – Therapists and Counselors in Silver Spring, MD
There’s no question of doubt that emotional abuse can be debilitating and devastating for the victims. In some homes it’s so bad that people feel as though they’re walking on eggshells in slippers made of lead. Victims of this kind of abuse often lose some degree of dignity and autonomy. Emotional abuse is something that can really destruct the life of the abused. Many people experiencing emotional abuse feel like they can’t escape the everlasting effects of the harm they have dealt with. Typical examples of the effects include:
- Aggressive passive behaviors
- Can’t have fun without mind altering substances (drugs, alcohol)
- Inability to concentrate for long periods
- Lack genuine self-esteem
- Susceptible to anxiety attacks and bouts of depression
- Unable to sleep properly.
Anyone who experiences any or all the above symptoms can’t possibly function in a “normal” capacity. Emotional abuse may not be visible physically, but the toll it takes on someone mentally can be extremely harmful. If you feel as if your heart and mind have been wounded by the effects of emotional abuse, you are not alone. The counselors at Thriveworks Silver Spring listen to your experiences and strive to help the victims of emotional abuse recover.
Forms of Emotional Abuse
Emotional abuse can occur in many different forms. Examples of emotional abuse may include:
- Refusing to accept personal responsibility for one’s own behavior
- Falsely accusing others and/or blaming victims for the abuse they suffer
- Publicly and openly embarrassing, humiliating, mocking, name-calling, or criticizing another
- Cutting off others from their loved ones
- Holding back affection or love to gain a desired result (When you… I will…)
- Denying or downplaying another person’s experiences, feelings, and thoughts (“You’re too sensitive; you’re overreacting.”)
- Objectifying other people
- Using guild, intimidation, or threats to control other people
- Without permission, harming or trashing another’s personal and prized possessions (a meaningful letter, a special photograph, etc.)
- Using anger and moodiness to keep others on edge
- Displaying possessive or jealous behaviors
A Life on Hold
Anyone who can’t think, feel or function normally is not going to have the ability to thrive in life. They may have the potential, but if the emotional abuse has gone on for too long and the scars are too deep, then it’s difficult to move forward. Emotional abuse therapy can help, but only for those who recognize their problem for what it is and reach out. Some of the challengers the abused face in everyday life will include:
- Problems liking themselves (there are many negative spin-offs with this alone)
- Unable to realize their potential no matter how hard they try
- Have problems feeling safe and secure
- A tendency to major in minor things all the time
- Relationships with others are hard work and uncomfortable
Psychological abuse can touch every area of the victim’s being. It is something that can put their life on hold indefinitely, unless they seek professional medical help. There is safety and healing in searching for help to overcome the effects of emotional abuse.
Schedule an Appointment with Thriveworks Silver Spring
There can be no solution to any problem until the victim first identifies and accepts that they have an issue. Once they can do that, then there is a real potential for moving forward. Thriveworks Silver Spring emotional abuse therapy counselors have helped many people find peace and get balance back into their lives. Perhaps we can offer the solutions to your problems too.
Give us a call and schedule your first appointment. We are ready and eager to help. It might turn out to be the best call you’ve ever made. (202) 478-9619.