Uncle Joey rolls his eyes as his nieces beg him to try his luck at the slot machines. He explains to them that gambling is never a good idea and never results in a win. In an effort to prove his point, Joey nonchalantly pulls the bar and watches as the images spin before him. Three grape images in a row! Immediately, $10 spits out at him from below. Joey forgets everything he was just preaching to the young girls and continues playing. “You never quit while you’re ahead!” he tells them. His nieces watch in excitement, as they await his gambling fate.
“Gambling: the sure way of getting nothing for something.” –Wilson Mizner
Some people can gamble for fun and lose nothing but a few dollars. Others, however, become addicted to the odds. Joey from Full House displayed a strong disdain for gambling when his nieces first proposed the idea to him. But after just a small return, he was locked in. And while he didn’t go on to develop an addiction in the show, this is often how it starts for many people in the real world. It might begin as an innocent night at the slot machines or one night at the poker table in Vegas—but become a harmful habit that’s hard to break and then an addiction that’s even more harmful and difficult to escape.
Fortunately, you can escape your gambling addiction. You can find help and healing at Thriveworks Grand Rapids. Counseling for gambling addiction has proven to help many people who are suffering with this problem. If you think that you might have a problem, or might be on your way to developing a problem, reach out to Thriveworks Grand Rapids. We have counselors and therapists who are eager to help you heal right away.
What Is Gambling Addiction? How Do I Know If I Have a Problem?
As mentioned above, some people do gamble occasionally for fun and with no serious consequences. However, others develop an addiction to the activity and suffer from harmful symptoms. These include:
- Gambling is always on your mind, from past to future gambling endeavors
- You feel restless and irritable when you aren’t gambling or when you try to quit gambling
- You keep gambling even when it proves detrimental to your job, relationships, or other important areas of your life
- You continue to gamble even when you lose a significant amount of money
- You try to make up the money you lost by gambling again
- You lie to loved ones about your gambling activity
- You gamble to cope with difficult feelings like anxiety and depression
You must present at least four of the above symptoms to be diagnosed with gambling addiction, according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5). The good news is, once you’re diagnosed, your counselor or therapist can set up a treatment plan specifically and help you overcome your addiction. Again, if there’s a chance you might have a gambling addiction, reach out to Thriveworks Grand Rapids. Our providers want to help.
Schedule a Session with a Counselor at Thriveworks Grand Rapids
It’s important that you seek help for your gambling problem–if it hasn’t yet developed into an addiction it could; and if it’s an addiction, you’ll need to confront the problem right away so you don’t suffer (or continue to suffer) significantly. The first step in getting help and finding healing is admitting you need a little assistance. You can accomplish this first step by giving us a call at (616) 425-2176. A scheduling specialist will answer the phone and help you through the process of booking your appointment. Here’s what you can expect from this process:
- A quick, personalized response: When you call Thriveworks Grand Rapids, a scheduling specialist will answer your call right away. Additionally, they’ll ask a few questions to get to know you a little better so that they can determine the best provider for you and your unique situation.
- Flexible appointments: We get it—those weekday, daytime appointments aren’t always ideal. That’s why we offer evening and weekend appointments as well. Your scheduling specialist will consult your schedule and help you set up a session that meets your needs.
- Excellent care: From customer services to our clinicians, you can count on receiving excellent care. Our counselors and therapists have the right skills and experience to help you live a happier, healthier life, and they are dedicated to this journey.
Are you ready to schedule a session? Do you think you could benefit from a little mental health help? Give Thriveworks Grand Rapids a call. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you in this process toward a happier, healthier you.