Anorexia and Bulimia Counseling – Therapists in Grand Rapids, Forest Hills
Around 30 million people in the United States alone suffer from anorexia and bulimia, two eating disorders that are not just destructive but also potentially fatal. However, of this total number only around 10 percent avail of proper treatment, according to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders.
As for the rest? They either don’t get treatment, fail to recognize any disorder at all, or go about treatment the wrong way –often with disastrous results.
If you or someone you know in Grand Rapids, Forest Hills is suffering from these disorders there is someone you can turn to for help. Let Thriveworks Grand Rapids eating disorder counselors help.
The Underlying Reasons for Anorexia and Bulimia
Anorexia and Bulimia have always been thought as nothing more than effects of body image obsession and low self-esteem. However, studies have proven them to be even more than that. So what causes them?
- Genetics can be a reason. If one or more than one person in your family suffers from these disorders there is a greater chances (up to 12 times more) you will also suffer from them. Genes can also influence attitudes toward food.
- Mental health issues can also be one of the influences. A classic symptom of depression is the need to have more food or avoid it at all costs. However, it should also be mentioned depressive symptoms among sufferers may be in no way linked to their eating disorder at all.
- Trauma brought on by personal experiences can cause eating disorders. These experiences can involve physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, or just be experiences that destroyed confidence, or increased shame and guilt.
- Ready availability of diet pills and weight-loss products also increase chances of eating disorders.
- Anorexia and bulimia can also be caused by environmental influences like peer pressure.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- Depression and anxiety
- Obsession over body image
- Overeating and then vomiting the food back out (purging)
- Deliberately avoiding eating any food
- Restrictive dieting with the goal of losing weight
- Fixating over reaching or maintain a certain weight
- Feeling guilty or shameful after eating
Challenges and How to Get Bulimia Therapy
Don’t take eating disorders lightly. It’s like the tip of the iceberg; a lot more problems can lie just beneath the surface or emerge when you least expect them to.
Losing essential nutrients by not eating right can lead to nutrient-related deficiencies like scurvy, and diseases like stroke, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension. Purging also has its risks; you can die from choking on your own vomit.
If you happen to survive the odds you will still find yourself trapped in an endless cycle of guilt, shame, and depression. Suicidal tendencies are often linked to destructive cycles such as these.
The battle against eating disorders isn’t a struggle you have to fight alone. If you happen to be in Grand Rapids, Forest Hills there are people you can ask for help. Taking the first step is usually the toughest, but after that you may find it easier when others are there for you. We have counselors who know what you are going through and can help you come out a better person.