Telehealth or In-Person Counseling? Which Is Best for Me?
Certainly for most, counseling in any form-online or in-person-can be extremely beneficial in helping achieve a better quality of life, or deal with temporary and/or on-going challenges. But if you’re conflicted as to which type of counseling will be the most helpful or comfortable for you, read on.
Isn’t Telehealth the “next big thing” and the answer for all our counseling challenges?
Online counseling (also often referred to as “Telehealth” or “TeleMentalHealth”) can be very helpful for many. If you have scheduling or even physical limitations that prevent you from attending in-person sessions, we at Thriveworks Counseling in Blacksburg have you covered! We have a large staff of therapists who provide online counseling, with a broad range of days and times available to schedule.
Having said that, you should also know that online counseling is not without some disadvantages compared to in-person therapy. To name just a few:
- Some Insurance Companies May Not Cover Teletherapy: Insurance coverage for online counseling will depend on your insurance company and the plan you’re covered by. Having to self-pay for online counseling services can quickly become a financial strain.
- Issues with Technology: Technology problems can also make it difficult to access treatment when you really need it. Perhaps you don’t have adequate internet service, or a device that is appropriate for online counseling sessions. Further, there are times that even a good internet connection gets interrupted, or cut off entirely. This causes a break in the counseling experience that can make it difficult to recover the flow.
- TeleMentalHealth can certainly be useful for a variety of situations, but it is definitely not appropriate for those who require close and/or direct monitoring, or those whose mental/behavioral health issues are complex or more serious.
- Clients with children or pets may find it challenging to achieve an environment of privacy, and one free from interruptions and distractions.
- Though some may feel more comfortable engaging in therapy in a virtual setting, others may get more out of therapy that utilizes more a direct, literal face-to-face setting.
- A large part of what is communicated in counseling is found in facial expressions, tones of voice, body language and gestures. Without these queues, a client may misunderstand what the therapist is saying and the therapist may misunderstand what the client is saying.
What to do, then?
Now that we’ve addressed a few reasons that TeleMentalHealth may not be a good fit for everyone (and maybe not for YOU), let’s move on to the subject of in-person sessions, as offered here at Thriveworks Counseling in Blacksburg!
Perhaps you’re someone who simply enjoys leaving their home environment and coming to our Thriveworks offices, finding it to be “me time” and a welcome break from their home/family setting. Not to mention the safe, relaxing, pleasant environment that our offices provide.
Maybe you just prefer a more intimate, personal, face to face setting for your therapy, we will now be offering that option again, safely and conscientiously. After weeks and weeks of isolation and quarantine, getting a listening ear, and helpful support from a professional may be just what you’ve been missing.
More importantly, there’s the consideration of your own particular mental/emotional health concerns; as mentioned earlier, some diagnoses, conditions, and personalities respond and progress so much better with counseling that takes place in an in-person setting.
Schedule Counseling at Thriveworks Blacksburg, VA
Whatever your reason-if you just don’t feel comfortable, or are not a good candidate for online counseling-the good news is that Thriveworks Counseling in Blacksburg is now resuming in-person counseling sessions.
Our response as a practice, to the Covid-19 pandemic, was to discontinue all in-person sessions early on, to insure the health and well-being of all clients and clinicians. However, as things in the Blacksburg and NRV community are returning to somewhat normal, we have begun a slow and careful return to in-person sessions.
Rest assured, Thriveworks Counseling in Blacksburg is committed to protecting both clients and clinicians by utilizing and following all guidelines set forth by the governor and CDC. All in-person clients will be asked to wait in their car for their therapist to signal them into the office. Screening questions will be asked, and temperature will be checked with a contactless thermometer scanner. Between every session, therapy rooms, door handles, and all other surfaces that involve human contact are sanitized and disinfected. The office space as a whole gets cleaned, disinfected and sanitized by a professional every weekend after all sessions for that week are completed. Scheduling adjustments are being made to minimize or even eliminate the possibility of crossing paths with others. Masks will be provided for those who are able to wear them.
If you’ve previously engaged in counseling at Thriveworks Counseling in Blacksburg, but declined to transfer to online counseling with your clinician, now is the time to reach out to us and inquire about resuming in-person sessions.
You should know that not all clinicians will be offering/returning to in-person sessions; we will be carefully and selectively scheduling in-person sessions in our offices for our clinicians who desire to do so. You may reach out to your previous clinician as to whether they are or will be offering in-person sessions, and when. You may also email our Blacksburg support at BlacksburgSupport@Thriveworks.com to inquire as to clinician availability and in-person options.
If you’re a new client, and have held off on scheduling with one of our clinicians because you’re just not comfortable with online counseling, now’s the time to reach out and schedule an in-person session with one of our caring clinicians who has in-person sessions available. We have evening and weekend hours, for your convenience, and as you know, all Thriveworks Blacksburg counselors are fully licensed and have impressive backgrounds and experience in their field. You’ll never meet with a trainee, intern, or resident. Our clinicians are among the top in their field and have a proven track record of excellent client care.
So call today to schedule or resume an in-person counseling session! Let’s move out of this quarantine, and into the summer together – safely, intentionally, and conscientiously!