Everyone occasionally experiences anxiety
Surprisingly, anxiety itself is “hardwired” into our brains. It is part of our fight-or-flight response, warning us to act quickly at the threat, or perceived threat, of danger. It’s normal to feel anxious in response to uncertainty, trouble/danger, feeling unprepared, etc.
BUT, when common everyday events cause severe and persistent anxiety or even panic that interferes with everyday life, you may have an anxiety disorder. Anxiety can rob us of emotional and physical well-being. Every day we are faced with things that can trigger anxiety within us. Things like health, money, social situations, or even seemingly small things like car repairs or appointments. You may find yourself worrying more and more, and the worry isn’t necessarily focused on a specific issue or fear. Just a general feeling of worry, uneasiness, unsettled-ness, and it seems like you just can’t stop. If you’re experiencing this, you’re not alone. Anxiety affects as many as 7 million Americans.
Do I Have an Anxiety Disorder?
If your anxiety is . . .
- uncontrollable or overwhelming
- causing an excessive, irrational dread of everyday situations
- interfering with your daily activities
- . . . then you may have an anxiety disorder.
Compare these descriptions of “normal” anxiety, and anxiety disorder:
- Normal Anxiety: Occasionally worrying about circumstantial events, such as an exam or breakup; may leave you feeling upset, but you soon bounce back.
- Anxiety Disorder: Constant, chronic, and unfounded worry causing significant distress, so much so that it disturbs your social life, and interferes with classes or work.
- Normal Anxiety: Embarrassment or self-consciousness in an uncomfortable social situation.
- Anxiety Disorder: Avoidance of common social situations for fear of being judged, embarrassed, or humiliated.
- Normal Anxiety: Occasional nerves or jitters; dizziness or sweating over an exam, presentation, or other important event.
- Anxiety Disorder: Repeated, random panic attacks or persistent worry and anticipation of another panic attack and feelings of terror or impending doom.
- Normal Anxiety: Rational fear of a threatening object, place, or situation.
- Anxiety Disorder: Irrational, unrealistic fear or avoidance of an object, place, or situation that poses little or no threat of danger.
- Normal Anxiety: Wanting to feel confident that you are healthy and living in a safe, hazard-free environment.
- Anxiety Disorder: Performing uncontrollable, repetitive actions, such as washing your hands repeatedly or checking things over and over.
- Normal Anxiety: Anxiety, sadness, or difficulty sleeping immediately following a traumatic event.
- Anxiety Disorder: Ongoing and recurring nightmares, flashbacks, or emotional numbing relating to a traumatic event in your life that occurred several months or years ago.
I Think I May Have an Anxiety Disorder and I’m Scared
Anxiety disorders are real. They are serious medical conditions. And they are treatable. Anxiety disorders are the most common yet pervasive mental/emotional disorders in the United States.
Anxiety disorders involve extreme fear or worry, and include (but are not limited to) such conditions as generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorders/panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and social anxiety disorder. Some people experience anxiety while also suffering from depression.
Anxiety disorders are the most common mental conditions affecting children and adults. Over 40 million American adults suffer from anxiety disorders, but sadly, only about one-third of those receive treatment, even though these disorders are highly treatable.
At Thriveworks Blacksburg Anxiety Counseling, we find that statistic appalling, and unacceptable. We have highly skilled counselors who are experts in anxiety counseling, and they want to help YOU manage your anxiety and overcome the symptoms that may be making your life difficult. You don’t have to suffer. You’re not alone. Our therapists are sympathetic, supportive, understanding, and have numerous methods and approaches to treating your anxiety.
Overcoming an Anxiety Disorder
The struggle with anxiety usually develops slowly, and can begin at any age. “Worry” can even cause physical symptoms like muscle tension, headaches, exhaustion, rapid/irregular heartbeat, and even swallowing or breathing difficulty. At its worst, anxiety disorders can even contribute to or exacerbate serious health issues such as heart disease, gastrointestinal issues, and chronic respiratory issues.
Further, anxiety can become so overwhelming that it causes additional problems in every area of our lives. It can be debilitating. If you feel like constant feelings of anxiety are impacting your life and you just can’t handle it on your own, call Thriveworks Blacksburg for Anxiety Counseling.
We want to help
You don’t have to suffer and you don’t have to battle anxiety alone. At Thriveworks Counseling Blacksburg, VA we can help you with your struggle. Whether you’re seeking help for yourself or for a loved one, you’ll find it with a Thriveworks Blacksburg VA anxiety counselor. Caring professionals are available to help you with a personalized strategy for addressing and overcoming your anxiety. With anxiety counseling, you can learn to experience greater peace, calm, and confidence. You can get the tools to help you cope with anxiety so that it no longer hinders your life, health, and relationships.
Begin your journey to overcoming anxiety
Call us today. Thriveworks Blacksburg Anxiety counseling can help empower you to gain more confidence. We’ll work together with you to give you the ability to overcome and cope. We want you to experience an overall more positive outlook. Life will always present us with new reasons to feel afraid, worried, or anxious, but you no longer have to be a victim of anxiety. Our highly qualified, caring anxiety counselors are here to help you work towards ending the problems that anxiety can cause. Schedule a session for anxiety counseling today, and start on your path towards regaining your peace of mind and well-being.
Thriveworks Counseling Blacksburg VA is a team of compassionate, skilled, and highly trained counselors and therapists. We are committed to helping you defeat your anxiety and guide you through your healing process. You’ll be able to learn coping skills, methods, and techniques to alleviate your anxiety. We want to help YOU thrive. So don’t struggle any longer. Let us get you started on a path toward emotional wellness!
Call today at (540) 376-3348 to schedule an appointment as soon as tomorrow, maybe even today!